Unable to search database by createdBy.Fullname (in separate user table)

7 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 2, 2009   (RSS)

By Codee - October 28, 2009

Dave and Co,
I have CMSB set up with dealer logins in a separate dealer info section from the inventory section. Obviously this is so dealers only have to put their contact info in one time and it automatically appears on all their created records with the public. The problem I'm having is in the CMSB Admin section, under Inventory Section, he is unable to search for records by the dealer name (createdBy.Fullname). I know why - because that is in the dealer info table and not in the inventory table. HOW can we modify this so when he is viewing the Inventory Section records and types the dealer name into the search
box he can view just that dealers inventory records?

As always, thanks a zillion!

Re: [Damon] Unable to search database by createdBy.Fullname (in separate user table)

By Codee - October 28, 2009

Hi Damon,
Actually I already basically did what you suggested as a temporary workaround
Dealer Number|createdByUserNum|match

but the client would like to be able to search by the .fullname way. He know all his clients names but not all their user account numbers so it's an extra step to use a list of account numbers. There must be a reasonably simple coding for this. CMSB is used for a variety of sites that have heirarchical accounts such as broker/seller real estate ads, admin/dealer, admin/user, article editor/writer, etc. It would seem to be a logical necessary add on to this great program.

Thanks!

Re: [equinox69] Unable to search database by createdBy.Fullname (in separate user table)

By Dave - October 29, 2009

There's currently no way to do this, and I tried a few different work arounds with no luck.

Being able to display and search related tables is something we plan to address for future versions.

Other than that, it may be possible to override it and do the lookup with a plugin. It would probably have to be done specific to the table, though.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [equinox69] Unable to search database by createdBy.Fullname (in separate user table)

By Kenny - October 29, 2009

One way to do it is to create a drop down list in CMSB and get options from MySQL Database. Choose the accounts table and select Full Name as the field to pull from.

Then on all of your listings you select the user from the drop-down list that is auto-populated by your accounts table. From there, making the search on the front end is much easier.

Take a look at how we can look up all of an agent's listings this way using URL searching.

http://www.remaxofcleburne.com/agents/

Also, sometimes we just bypass the accounts menu built into CMSB and create our own Agents or Dealers section. Makes it easier to pull info from sometimes.

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] Unable to search database by createdBy.Fullname (in separate user table)

By Codee - October 30, 2009

Kenny,
I see how that can work (maybe title it "agent" field) but have a question. How can it be set up so the user doesn't have to click and choose a new field on each record but have it auto add-in based on the dealer log in.

So if my user account is ABC Equipment and I put in 100 ads or have already put in 100 ads, that based on the fact that I logged the agent field is already filled in for me (so I don't have to actually click in the agent field and choose my name). ?

Dave, what would it take for a plugin for this and for related searching issues? If there's a dynamic menu function available for CMSB but by using that function it makes related records unsearchable (either for CMSB Admin or for public searches) doesn't it kind of violate a major part of the need for dynamic menus that run across table data?

By Dave - November 2, 2009

Hi Terry,

Dave, what would it take for a plugin for this and for related searching issues? If there's a dynamic menu function available for CMSB but by using that function it makes related records unsearchable (either for CMSB Admin or for public searches) doesn't it kind of violate a major part of the need for dynamic menus that run across table data?

We'd really need to look at the requirements for the project part by part and see what was feasible. Feel free to email me and we can discuss the requirements, etc.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com