Echo details from another section??

36 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 31, 2010   (RSS)

By (Deleted User) - October 1, 2009

This is exactly the reason why I wish I had moved over to interactive tools earlier in my web life! I did the above and guess what - of course it only goes and works perfectly!

THANK YOU so much - I don't know any other company who will write plugins and how-to guides to help its customers. I know where I'll be coming when my next site commission comes through - YOU!

Jono

By (Deleted User) - October 2, 2009

This is great and has so far reduced quite a large page by about 300 lines of if commands and code.

Using the same principle am I able to do the following:

On a tour there are a list of bikes available. There is a default bike included in the tour price - that's fine I can use the list from the database method.

There are more bikes available for each tour but with an upgrade price.

At the moment I have a textfield for each bike. If that bike is available for upgrade a price is entered in the text field.

Then on the tour page I use a load of if commands to display any bike and it's price if it has been entered - if no price has been entered in the text field nothing shows.

I love the idea of your list options but can't work out how it would show only if something has been entered - can you help?

Thanks again,
Jono.

Re: [jonoc73] Echo details from another section??

By Chris - October 5, 2009

Hi Jono,

That's a tricky problem!

Are the "bike upgrade prices" completely customizable for each tour, or could they be calculated (e.g. bike.price minus tour.default_bike_price)?
All the best,
Chris

By (Deleted User) - October 5, 2009

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid it's different for each tour. I have a list of about 23 bikes. The upgrade price for each bike can indeed be different depending on what tour.

At the mo I just textfield list all the bikes individually and us loads of if commands to show the bike logo and price if anything is entered in it's textfield. It works but I can't help feel this is a very long way round.

Thanks for all your help still,

Jono

By Chris - October 5, 2009

Hi Jono,

I can't think of a simple solution. The database designer in me wants to use a table for tours, a table for bikes, and a many-to-many table for available_bikes_per_tour, but that would be really tricky to set up and may confuse your client and/or successors more than a page full of IF blocks.

If I think of a better solution, I'll let you know. In the meantime, I think you're best sticking with your IFs.

Sorry I couldn't help more!
All the best,
Chris

By (Deleted User) - October 8, 2009

Hi, I am using the Related Record Lookup Functions Plugin and it works really well.

However I get a MySQL error when nothing is selected for one of the fields, this is understandable as it's trying to list something that isn't there.

How can I get it to ignore that Lookup Related field function if nothing is entered?

Thanks

Jono.

By Chris - October 8, 2009

Hi Jono,

Can you please post the exact error you're getting?
All the best,
Chris

By (Deleted User) - October 8, 2009

Hi, It's:

MySQL Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')) ORDER BY title' at line 3

Thanks Jono

By (Deleted User) - October 11, 2009

Yep, this newer function version works a treat - THANKS.

J