iphone

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 6, 2009   (RSS)

By rez - October 2, 2009

Telling clients they can update their site right from their phone is valuable. It's so close to already working. :(

I could probably use css to make the admin load an alternative cms format on the iphone (haven't looked t your code yet) but with a quick test, the drag and drop feature already killed my idea. :(

Am I missing an alternate way of moving things without the drag and drop (without eliminating this wonderful feature)?

Re: [rez] iphone

By Dave - October 2, 2009

Hi rez,

Hmm, that's a good one. I'm not sure.

How many records are in the section? One alternative might be to sort with a text field that lets you input a number?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Dave - October 6, 2009

Hi rez,

Hmm, If sorting new records to the top would work then that would probably be the simplest. Generally we remove the drag and drop sorting for sections with lots of records.

What about just sorting the records by name, or last updated date or some other field?

What do you think would make the most sense for the site or how do other related sites sort their records?
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] iphone

By rez - October 6, 2009

Hi Dave. I'll be exploring the different sorting options later. Basically, i just knew that this guy has an iPhone and that he would love the idea of managing things from his phone. When I went in and tried it, the drag and drop didn't work.

I'll have more details later on how things will be sorted, I just didn't know what the options were since it didn't work.

"Generally we remove the drag and drop sorting for sections with lots of records."

Can you explain that? I can remove it myself?

By Dave - October 6, 2009

>>"Generally we remove the drag and drop sorting for
>>sections with lots of records."

>Can you explain that? I can remove it myself?

Yes you can, just delete the dragSortOrder field, and remove it from the field list and the sorting tab.

Maybe create a test section and try removing it from that first so you're familiar with the process.

Drag sorting is great for sections with just a few records because people can sort things how they like but when you get many many records it usually makes more sense to sort by date or title or something like that.

Also, almost everyone here has an iphone so we are able to test with those if needed. For the most part it should work fine, but to create an optimized iphone interface would likely be a fair bit of work.

Another thing to try changing the sort order under: Admin > Section Editors > Sorting from "dragSortOrder" to "dragSortOrder DESC" which will reverse the sorting and cause new entries to appear at the top instead of the bottom.

That might be the simplest as it maintains the drag sort feature in the browser, but allows new entries from an iphone to appear at the top. Note that it will reverse your sorting when you change it so you'll need to re-sort things.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com