Having trouble upgrading the new CMSB Version

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 23, 2009   (RSS)

By jtedescojam - September 17, 2009

The 'read-me' file is slightly confusing. Can someone tell me what files I need to replace, and what files I need to delete? (I'll worry about the backup). the 'how to upgrade' file is a little confusing.
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

Re: [jtedescojam] Having trouble upgrading the new CMSB Version

By Chris - September 17, 2009

Hi jtedescojam,

What part do you find confusing? If there's something in there that doesn't make sense, I'd like to fix it for everyone. :)
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Having trouble upgrading the new CMSB Version

well.. *.* for one thing.. I don't know what that means.

Step 1 is fine.

Step 2 says to upload these files... ... but that would replace everything that's there

Step 3 says just to make sure everything there is writeable...

Step 4 says to remove some files and folders... but if we follow step 2 properly, those files and folders wouldn't be there anyway?? right?

Finally... after doing this, I would assume I would have issues with my thumbnails, because there's no direction on how to put them back and where to put them back into... and do we need to replace any new schema presets we've created?

Sorry if I've confused you even more... I just don't want to do this without knowing that what I do is reverseable, and this is a great upgrade to cmsb!

please let me know
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

By Donna - September 17, 2009

Hi thre!

"*" is a wildcard, so *.* simply means everything. (Whereas *.php would just mean "anything ending in php" or index.* would mean "anything that starts with index".)

Anyway, you're basically reading them correctly. You'll want to upload the entire cmsAdmin directory, overwriting all of the old files -- yes, this replaces most of the files, not including a couple that CMS Builder creates itself.

Since simply uploading doesn't delete any of the existing files or folders though, so you'll need to go in and delete any that are no longer being used. Step 2 only adds new files & overwrites old ones, it doesn't delete anything. :)

Before upgrading, just make sure you have a backup of everything, then no matter what you can reverse the process. :)

I hope this helps!
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Having trouble upgrading the new CMSB Version

okay... but if I upload the new "uploads" folder which is empty.. that will replace the existing "uploads" folder, hence deleting all of the images and thumbnails that are on the server... wouldn't it? I guess that would be the only problem, since this wouldn't affect the databases at all.
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

By Dave - September 17, 2009

Download everything first so you have a backup, but typically FTP won't erase any files, only overwrite files with the same name.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Having trouble upgrading the new CMSB Version

interesting.. that, I didn't know! Thanks. After backing up all files and folders... and uploading the contents of the new cmsAdmin folder... I cannot log into the cms and I received the following error:

Warning: session_start(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1c9169b4894c673e5835fabc9ad9c8a5, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php on line 63 Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php:63) in /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php on line 63 Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php:63) in /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php on line 63 Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/init.php:63) in /hermes/web01/b2311/as.dmrarchitects/public_html/lib/menus/header.php on line 2

AND

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_1c9169b4894c673e5835fabc9ad9c8a5, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

So what did I do wrong?
John Tedesco

Creative Director

JAM Graphics

By Dave - September 18, 2009

That looks like a mis-configured web host. Email your host with this:

"Hello Host,

I'm getting an error whenever I try to use session_start() in php. It says /var/php_sessions/ doesn't exist? Can you check the 'session.save_path' setting in php.ini and make sure everything is correct? Thanks!
"

Let me know what happens!
interactivetools.com

By Dave - September 21, 2009

Youch! Your web host has provided you with an incomplete PHP setup, and then they're asking you to configure the last bit. That's hardy seems fair! Sorry about that.

It can be a little tricky to sort out, but basically you want to change this line:

;session.save_path = "/tmp"

and remove the ; and change the /tmp to a path to a folder on your website.

In CMS Builder, if you go to: Admin > General > Program Directory, it will list the filepath for the directory CMS Builder is in, such as:
/var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/httpdocs/cmsAdmin

If that was your path, you'd want to create a directory here and use this path:
/var/www/vhosts/yourdomain.com/php_sessions

Since PHP sessions can contain sensitive information (like login credentials) it's a good idea to store them outside of your website folders (which is why the above path is one above httpdocs), but if you can't do that you can put them under the web root, just use a hard to guess directory name.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com