User Accounts

8 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 31, 2009   (RSS)

By Kenny - July 30, 2009

Not sure if this can be easily done with a few lines of code or not, but I need to be able to have one more option to the type of user accounts.

I need to be able to lock a user down to VIEW records only for a particular section.

So my choices would be something like Editor, Author, Viewer

I know I can set up a Author with 0 records but I need them to see the records that my editors and authors create.

Please tell me we can do this fast and easy.....

Thanks,

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] User Accounts

By Dave - July 30, 2009

Hi Kenny,

No automatic ways, a few ideas:

1) You could set up viewers for the sections, which would allow someone to click through and view all the records.

2) You could give them editor access to all the sections, then create an accounts checkbox field viewerOnly, and create a plugin that displayed an error on add, erase, or save for users with the viewerOnly checkbox checked.

What's the purpose of the viewer only account? What do they need to do?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] User Accounts

By Kenny - July 30, 2009

They will be adding records to one section, but may need to look up information in another section. I only need them to be able to see the information in that section but have access to edit other sections.

Thanks,
Kenny

By Dave - July 30, 2009

Yea the quickest and simplest would probably be to generate a list and detail viewer for that section. And then maybe add a link in the interface or to a headerbar in the section they need to edit so they can easily view the other section.

The viewers wouldn't need to be public, they could just be available through the link, so no one else could see them.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] User Accounts

By Kenny - July 30, 2009

OK - how about this then

I can create that viewer but can I create a link that opens up a specific section editor with that field populated already.

For example: on the lookup page, I search for an address of a billboard. I find the one I want and click on the serial number for that billboard and it opens up the sign maintenance section in CMS for me with that serial number in the spot it needs to be. I fill out the rest of the form and click save.

I hope I explained that easy enough...

By Dave - July 31, 2009

Hi Kenny,

The software doesn't support that, but it's something we've been wanting to add. It takes a few lines of code. We can make it so when you have a link like this:

admin.php?menu=people&action=add&name=Dave

It will take you to the add screen and prepopulate the "name" field with the value "Dave".

Do you need this for any field types other than text fields?

And how soon do you need it? I can put it in build 3 of the beta Monday.
interactivetools.com

By Dave - July 31, 2009

Ok, I've added it to build 3 for text fields and drop downs.
interactivetools.com