Duplicate of site on same server

11 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 12, 2009   (RSS)

By retray - June 8, 2009

Hi,
I have CMS Builder running for one of my clients. They want a duplicate of the site running in a sub folder on the same server so they can play around with new content before doing it for real on the live site. We've made the duplicate and created a new database, however, whenever we make updates to the duplicate (testsite) the changes are being reflected on the live site also. We don't want this to happen and can't figure out why it is. Please help! Client is starting to get annoyed!
Thanks
Derek

Re: [retray] Duplicate of site on same server

By Kenny - June 8, 2009

Derek,

My only guess at this point without seeing your code is that your duplicate site is connecting to the "live" database.

I would need to know how you duplicated the site (what steps did you take) in order to help you troubleshoot more.

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] Duplicate of site on same server

By retray - June 8, 2009

Hi Kenny,
Basically the entire site was copied into a folder called 'testsite' then a new database created with separate password through a control panel (we don't have root access to this shared server). I've had someone else working on this and now it seems the duplicate cms is not saving to the database at all but the live one is still working ok. Would it help if I could send you all relevant login details privately?
Thanks
Derek

By Kenny - June 8, 2009

It sounds like the settings in your new cms are still communicating with the old cms database.

Update your settings under Admin >> General Settings >> MySQL Settings

AND ALSO

Admin >> General Settings >> Directories & URLs

If that doesn't work, you may have to give Ross or Dave a shout at consulting@interactivetools.com.

But either way, let us know.

Kenny

By ross - June 9, 2009

Hi Derek

Thanks for posting!

I got you emails in my queue but was thinking you might actually just want to start this one over again :).

Here's how I would do what you are trying to setup.

1. Install a brand new copy of CMS Builder from scratch into your testsite folder.

2. Copy all the files from the /cmsAdmin/data/schema (except: _accesslist.ini.php, accounts.ini.php, uploads.ini.php) to the /cmsAdmin/data/schemaPresets folder in the "test" install. Make a note that the folders are different names: schema -> schemaPresets

3. Log into the "test" install and re-create your sections. They will all show up in the Preset Menu option.

4. Copy all your viewer/template pages from the "live" folder to your "test" folder and update the require_once line at the top of each one so it points to your "test" install.

And that should be it. Give this all a shot and let me know where you get to. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Duplicate of site on same server

By retray - June 10, 2009 - edited: June 11, 2009

Hi Ross,

Thanks for this. I think I'm more than half way there! I did all you said, only thing is, when I go to edit content, there is no data in the fields although the actual pages are there. Does that mean the data didn't get written to the database or would it be a file permissions issue?
Regards
Derek

Hi again,
I've just looked at the database to see that all the page structure is there but no records. Short of repopulating all the pages through the CMS I don't know how else to get this back. The previous database had 'some bad values in it' according to the hosting company so I keen not to resuse it. I don't mind repopulating the pages if I have to but currently some of the wysiwig seems to be missing.

Aware of the time difference between you guys and the UK, I'm keen to get this sorted out tomorrow morning my time if poss. Would you be ale to look by then please?
Cheers
Derek
(Wednesday night UK)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi again Ross,

I played around with this again last night but no joy. This one is really twisting my melon as we say in England. I did a fresh install of the software as you suggested in your forum message - it seems to be an older version so I'm not sure if that is helping matters. I created a new database - it has picked up the page structures but not the records (they all say 0). I have part of the wysiwig missing from CMS Builder so can't even create new content.

Bottom line is, I'm now out of my depth. How much would you guys charge just to go in and fix it for me?

Do you now have al the details you require?

Thanks and regards,
Derek
(Thursday morning UK)

By ross - June 11, 2009

Hi Derek

Thanks for the updates!

We haven't actually got to the step where you make a copy of your database. That's where the data is and right now, your test install is pointing at a different database than the live one.

Just so we are on the same page here, you are just trying to get a copy of the data as it is now but don't actually want the live site and the test site editing the same things right? If you did that, changes you made on the test site would also show up on the live site and vice versa.

What you are going to need to do now is make a duplicate of your live database hook the test installation into that one. The thing with this step is that you'll need to contact your web host and ask them what options you have. It's a little different for every server so it isn't something I can help out with too much. Just drop them an email and say you want to make a duplicate of your live database.

An easier way to do all this would be just re enter the data again. Of course, if you had a lot of data, it might take a while.

Let me know what you think :).
Cheers,

Re: [ross] Duplicate of site on same server

By retray - June 11, 2009

Hi Ross,

Yes - the client wants to update the duplicate site without the cahnges being reflected on the ive site.

Further to the email I just sent, I'd be happy to enter the data into the new database again - there isn't too much. But, as I pointed out in my email, I'm currently unable to enter anything due to lack of fields in CMS Builder on the testsite folder. I'm guessing something didn't get installed properly?

Thanks once again
Derek

By ross - June 12, 2009

Hi Derek

I got your emails and just wanted to say I'll be looking at this for you today sometime :). I'll likely just email you back instead of post all the details here :).

Thanks!
Cheers,