Parent Category (I want to hide field)

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 11, 2009   (RSS)

Re: [rentittoday] Parent Category (I want to hide field)

By Dave - May 10, 2009

Hi Jason,

You can just erase the field if you don't need it, but be sure to create a backup of everything (MySQL, etc) first.

Looking at the "Baby Items" category it looks like everything was setup to use the category menu type, even though this may not be required, but then some of the records are listed as sub-items under other records. So if the site has been setup to use category menus (which allow records to be grouped under other records) then changing that might break things.

I'd recommend having a local working copy or staging/beta copy of your site and database where you could work on changes like this without risk of breaking anything. But essentially if you actually don't need that field you could remove it. You may need to switch the menu type as well to multi-record.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Parent Category (I want to hide field)

By rentittoday - May 11, 2009

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. They only listing that would be lost are the ones that choose the drop down "Parent Category" then they filled out the rest of the information about the rental. For 99.9 percent of our listings we did not enter anything into those fields. Whatever the default was we just left it in there. Let me know. Thanks.

Jason
Jason Glass

Re: [rentittoday] Parent Category (I want to hide field)

By Dave - May 11, 2009

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure how the code is setup on the front end or whether it's card coded to require that field or not. I'd have your developer create a copy of a single section and then try removing that field and see what issues (if any) there are.

You have a big system and site so you want to have a way to "test" changes like that before you push them live.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com