Moving CMS Builder install and MySQL Database (?)

8 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 6, 2009   (RSS)

By gagester - March 27, 2009 - edited: March 27, 2009

Hello

We need to move a test site to it's new home... on a different server, with a different hosting company.

Is there documentation anywhere for how to do this? does it require assistance from the interactive tools staff? (if so, can you guys help me out? ;)

How long of a process (estimated) is this?

thanks!

Re: [gagester] Moving CMS Builder install and MySQL Database (?)

By ross - March 27, 2009

Hi gagester.

Thanks for posting!

The most important question to ask when you are doing a server move with CMS Builder is, do you need to move the content as well? Or when you get to the new server, can you start fresh? That doesn't mean the sections you've set up or the pages you've coded. That is all easy to move.

I am specifically asking about the content you've added to the system and the images you've uploaded. If you aren't worried about that, server movers are really easy.

Let me know and we'll go from there. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Moving CMS Builder install and MySQL Database (?)

By gagester - March 27, 2009

Hmmmm. I'd like to preserve the content I've entered, if possible.

But it'd probably be not TOOO much work to reenter it for this site. (I'd imagine if we ever did this on future sites, we would likely want to keep the content and not have to think about reentering it.)

Could you explain the process both ways ? Both keeping entered content, and just moving the 'other stuff'? (just for future reference, though in this case i think we're fine leaving the content behind, and reentering it.)

:) thanks!

By ross - March 27, 2009

Hi gagester.

Thanks!

The first step regardless is going to be installing a clean brand new copy of CMS Builder on the new server.

Once that's installed, gab everything from the old server in the "/data/schema/" folder except for the following:

_accesslist.ini.php
accounts.ini.php.default
uploads.ini.php

Move it all over to the "/data/schemaPresets/" folder on your new server. After you move them, log into your new CMS Builder and setup all your sections again. You'll find that each section you created on the old server now has an option in the Presets drop down when you go to create.

That should be it for the first step. Once you have all that taken care of, you'll basically have a clean install of CMS Builder on your new serer that has all the same sections as CMS Builder on your older server.

The next step will involve exporting the data from you old server and then importing it all to your new server. This part could end up being a little tricky to explain as it usually relies on 3rd party scripts like phpMyAdmin or a website control panel, but for now, focus on the first step and we'll get to this later.

Thanks!
Cheers,

Re: [ross] Moving CMS Builder install and MySQL Database (?)

By gagester - April 3, 2009

Hey, I need help moving on to the next steps ...

Well, i haven't recreated all the sections again... Will i have lost all the customization i did to those sections? or will that still be intact?

AND ... what do i do next? (Exporting, importing, etc...)

thanks!

By ross - April 6, 2009

Hi there.

Make sure you re-create all your sections using the method I outlined. So that is something you'll want to before going any further.

The next step is going to be updating your template pages. You aren't going to lose any of the customizations you've made so don't worry about that part.

All you do here is make sure each page has been moved over to the new server. Then, you need to go through each one and change the "require" bit at the top.

It will look something like this:

require_once "/something/something/something/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php";

To get the new code, all you do is go into CMS Builder and head over to the code generator. Don't worry about changing any settings, just keep clicking until you get to the page that displays your sample code. You'll see the new "require" code. Copy and paste that to all your pages. It's the same for all of them.

Once you do that, quickly check each of your pages to make sure you don't get any error messages when they load. There won't be any data on them, but if everything has gone right so far, you won't have any error messages.

Let me know how you make out with all this. That's actually going to be it for the easy part of all this. The next step will be exporting your data from your current database and then importing it to the new one.

Keep me up to date. Thanks!
Cheers,

By ross - April 6, 2009

No problem.

Moving the data will likely end up being a little different on every server.

What you'll want to do is get a SQL dump of your CMS Builder database on the old server.

This should end up being a text file of some sort. It might be a huge textfile though.

The hardest part about this is going to be the image paths. When you upload an image to CMS Builder it stores the server path of that image in your database. This server path is going to change on your new server so you'll need to update them all in the dump. You can do it with a text editor if you like.

Once you fix the paths, it's a matter of loading the SQL dump into your new database.

What I recommend is getting the dump, making a copy of it but deleting most of the records. This way, you can focus on fixing just a few of the image paths first to make sure the adjustments are accurate.

That's about it. This step will likely take quite a while.

Let me know if that make sense :).
Cheers,