Max Upload Size - php.ini

6 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 23, 2009   (RSS)

By rjbathgate - March 19, 2009

Hi,

I'm having problems increasing the max upload size for an upload field.

Currently, I get the error

"file is larger than '2M' max size allowed by PHP (check 'upload_max_filesize' in php.ini)."

Within the CMS Admin, the upload field has the 'Max Upload Size' unchecked so to allow unlimited.

And our host has apparently updated php.ini to allow 10MB upload.

Looking at php info on the server, it does indeed say max upload is 10MB

However we are still experiencing the error (max 2mb) when uploading a 3mb file.

Is there something else (i.e. an overriding php.ini) within CMS Admin that might be overrriding the root php.ini 10MB setting?

Cheers
Rob

Re: [rjbathgate] Max Upload Size - php.ini

By ross - March 19, 2009

Hi Rob

Thanks for posting! That's definitely an interesting situation. I am not exactly sure why you would be getting two different values for the upload max but I think it's going to be server related.

For now, could you log into CMS Builder and go to Admin -> General Settings. On that page, there will be a link that says "Show server upload limits". Click on that and tell me what it says for "upload_max_filesize".

Regardless of what your phpInfo is saying, this will be the value that CMS Builder is working off.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [ross] Max Upload Size - php.ini

By rjbathgate - March 20, 2009

It's working now...

not sure what was wrong, the hosts have done something and it works, so all good...

The server upload limits say 10 now :)

Cheers Ross

Re: [Perchpole] Max Upload Size - php.ini

By rjbathgate - March 21, 2009

According to host, this was the problem:

The settings specified in php.ini file do not affect your php scripts recursively.

This file has been placed in your cms folder to change the settings for these scripts.

So, they needed to put a second php.ini in CMSAdmin

Worth knowing for future!

Re: [Perchpole] Max Upload Size - php.ini

By Dave - March 23, 2009

Hi Perch,

Web hosts can set arbitrary limits on what you are allowed to do on their server. Some set them lower than others.

We need enough memory to store the upload that is being received, and even more to process it and create a thumbnail.

If you've ever tried to compress an image in a zip file you'll notice they don't compress, that's because they are already compressed formats. So to create a thumbnail the software uncompresses it in memory which can take a multiple of the size of the file.

Anyways, the short answer is you can ask your host to increase your memory limit, or upload smaller images, or even try uploading less images at a time.

One last thing, if this is an ongoing issue for you I could look at if it's possible to use less memory while resizing images, which might help some. Let me know.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com