Pre-purchase question

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 12, 2009   (RSS)

By Bassman - March 11, 2009

Hi,
I've been looking at the information available here on CMS Builder and it looks very interesting. However, I have a question I need answered before I go any further towards purchasing:

I would be purchasing for our company website. At present, all of our site is static and doesn't change much, so I (as maintainer/updater/builder) can change things fairly easily - except for the Products section. We have a large number of products from a large number of suppliers.

Currently the products section is set up as follows:

Products (main page) has a list of suppliers. Each supplier on the list is a link to another page which in most cases is an overview of the supplier, with a menu at left which lists categories of products from that supplier. Each item on this menu is a link to a page with one or more products listed, each product will have a photo and specifications and in some cases a link to a data sheet in PDF. The information required for each product can vary in the amount and type of information required.

My question is, would it be difficult to set up a system using CMS Builder so that a non-technical person could enter Suppliers, Categories, Products and Information, and edit/ maintain this easily in the case of product changes etc? I understand in basic terms how it works, but i'm a bit sketchy on the details :)

Re: [Bassman] Pre-purchase question

By Dave - March 12, 2009

Hi Bassman, welcome to the CMS Builder forum! :)

The short answer is yes it's possible to build this and to have it be simple and straightforward for the end user to update.

Building it will be a bit of work though. You'll have to create a few different sections and link them together. All possible but sometimes it can take a few tries to figure out the best way to do it. Going through those steps with CMS Builder is much faster then by other means though since it does so much of the work for you.

A few options for you: We have a 90 day money back guarantee. You can get a copy of CMS Builder and spend some time evaluating to see if you can get it to work for your project (we have support here in the forum). If it doesn't or it's too complicated, you can always return it.

Alternatively, we also have consulting services, so if you'd like we can give you a quote on doing the whole job for you or helping as much or as little as you need. If you want to get a quote just click on the consulting link at the top of the page and fill out the form.

Hope that helps, any other questions just let me know! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Pre-purchase question

By Bassman - March 12, 2009

Thank you Dave, now I have to convince the bean counters to let me pay for it. Hopefully that part won't be too hard either!

Re: [Bassman] Pre-purchase question

Dave,
A (hopefully) quick question:

How do you link an entry in a list of product brands, say, to the page that displays the information on the brand? Is that something you can do with CMSB or would it have to be hardcoded?

Re: [sagentic] Pre-purchase question

Oh, like the "More Information" link on that site? Yes, that's what I wanted. Fantastic!
Thanks Kenny!

PS Nice site. Homes are very cheap there! I think i'm moving to Texas :)