Last Post: April 17, 2009   (RSS)

By Dave - March 19, 2008

No, we've used this one in the past: http://scriptsmill.com/comments.html
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Comments on Blogs

By steve_e - March 20, 2008

Thanks for the link Dave.

Um - in case you don't get to creating this feature in CMS in time, can I ask a question about these two 3rd party scripts?

If you set up a section to use this with, how is the third party script going to 'attach' a series of comments to a particular record in a multi-page section? Is that going to be straightforward? I'd have thought it would be necessary to insert into the MySQL table to get this to happen.

I'm not that good with MySQL and PHP though so I may be talking through my hat. [:)]

By Dave - March 20, 2008

I actually haven't work with that particular script, but I've made some before. Typically how they work is you have some unique identifier for each page and the program uses that to know which comments are associated with which records.

So you might have an identifier of "tableName-recordNumber" which could be "news-3" for record 3 in the news section.

So you probably have a hidden field you create with that and then a PHP include or something like that to include the comments.

It probably has it's own mysql table and manages that itself. You might just want to give that script a try in advance to cover your bases. I know the consulting guys here can install it pretty quick so I don't think it's that hard to setup.

Hope that helps! :)
interactivetools.com

By Thomas - April 7, 2008

HI,

I am just about to launch my CMS site and comments would be really good right about now. Do you know if this might be added any time soon?

Yours hopefully

Re: [Thomas] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - April 8, 2008

Hi Thomas,

It's one of our top priorities but we don't have an estimated completion date yet. So it could be a while longer.
interactivetools.com

By Thomas - February 19, 2009

Hi,

It's been a while now so I just wanted to check and see how comments is coming along. Is this something that will be a plugin?

[:)]

Re: [Thomas] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - February 20, 2009

Hi Thomas,

That one's on the back burner right now and we haven't had time to revisit it lately. I do have some sample code for adding a record that I can give you if you wanted to experiment with creating an add comment form, though.

Let me know if that would help (or alternatively we can also do a custom comment setup through consulting if needed).
interactivetools.com

By Thomas - February 21, 2009

Thank you Dave,

Unfortunately I am not a programmer so I do not think I will do well with the code. I have been looking around for 3rd party scripts and have been generally disappointed. I know you guys would do a great job.

I'll keep looking...

Re: [sidcam] Comments on Blogs

By Thomas - March 7, 2009

Thanks sidcam,

I spent hours looking through all the scripts I could find.

There are a number of features that I wanted:

1) People not having to log in (there are enough places you have to log in already)
2) CAPTCHA or other antispam protection
3) Easy administration
4) Possibilities to vote, agree, reply etc. for users.
5) Bonus features, like the ability to post images or an avatar.

I actually ended up with a 3rd party hosted comments system.

http://js-kit.com/comments/

The reasons for this are:

i) Easy admin
ii) Really easy installation
iii) Sign on as a guest or log in (although I think the list of sign in options might confuse some of my visitors)
iv) Add photos & avatars
v) More features: Easily posting emoticons and even youtube videos.

Also a big plus is that it is free (although I am prepared to pay for a good system).

I do think that CMS builder needs an integrated comments system, perhaps as a plug in? If you look around at other systems it does seem to be the biggest, most commonly used feature missing (oh, and a contact form). In my opinion it is much better to have everything together rather than add on separate systems and admin areas.

Have a look and see if it is something you might be able to use.
[:)]