sub categories on detail page

19 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 10, 2009   (RSS)

Hi,
I have created a category menu with subs, works fine but what I would like to do is find a way to display the sub category links on the detail page of the top level category. I hope this is clear and possible because right now I am sort of hard coding those sub category links through a wysiwyg text box in cmsb(not really be best solution).

Re: [Dan Maitland] sub categories on detail page

By Dave - February 23, 2009

Hi Dan,

The code generator doesn't create code for category sections yet but you can find an example attached to the first post on this thread:
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/P64259

However, if you're only dealing with two or three levels sometimes it's simpler to create 2 or 3 sections instead. What type of content are you working with? Do you have an example url?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Dave - February 23, 2009

Ok, no problem. Do you just want the categories that are directly below the selected record?
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] sub categories on detail page

Exactly!

So Dave do you have a mini solution for me on this?

By Dave - February 24, 2009

I do, there's a few ways to do it. Category section have a field called 'parentNum' that lists the record number of their parent.

So the first step is getting the record number of the current record. You may have that in a variable such as $record['num'] so you can use that or the following line:

$num = $record['num'];

or

$num = getNumberFromEndOfUrl();

Then generate some list viewer code and add a where of "num = '$num'" like this:

list($categoryRecords, $categoryMetaData) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'category',
'where' => " num = '$num' ",
));

And that will list only the "child" record of the current record.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if that works for you.
interactivetools.com

Sorry for the delayed response. I will give your method a try but do I have to worry about anything getting messed up with the category menu I already have on that page?

Also on that same note: Is there a way to display the category menu in my websites second language because right now it is using the english titles and I need to be able to display the french titles for that same menu in the french section?

By Dave - February 26, 2009

You can give the variable a different name so it doesn't conflict with existing code on the page. Such as:

list($subCategoryRecords, $categoryMetaData) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'category',
'where' => " num = '$num' ",
));

As for displaying a seperate language. Do you already have fields or records setup with translated content or are you just starting with multi language?
interactivetools.com

Yes the French fields are already set up the.