problem connecting to mysql

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 10, 2009   (RSS)

By Mel - February 9, 2009

Hi,

Getting the following error on initial set up

Error connecting to MySQL:
Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

I am trying to set up on the testing server on my pc version 1.15 of cms which I have running on my live server

I am using WAMP with the following config which is the same as my live server and running without problem on the live server

PHP 4.4.7
Apache 2.063
Mysql 4.1.22

Any thoughts on this, as I am trying to keep all configs as identical as possible

I have not upgraded php & mysql to latest editions on live server in order to avoid possible conflict with older software on the server that uses php/mysql

Mel

Re: [mel] problem connecting to mysql

By Dave - February 9, 2009

Hi Mel,

MySQL switched the way they encoded MySQL passwords a while back. If you have older MySQL Client Software (meaning the PHP module that talks to MySQL) and you're talking to a newer MySQL server you can get this error.

There's some MySQL code you can run to switch the passwords back to the older format of encoding. Have a look at some of the results here for instructions:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=Client+does+not+support+authentication+protocol+requested+by+server

But first, check you're not running MySQL 5 with WAMP, that would be the first obvious cause.

Hope that helps! If you can, post back and let us know what the fix is when you find it.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com