uploading video to site

7 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 20, 2009   (RSS)

By JeffC - January 15, 2009

My client would like to add video to their site. Can you advise me of the best way to do this.

I think perhaps the easiest way is to get them to upload the files to youtube and copy the embed link somehow.

I seem to remember that when I first designed the site the wysiwyg editor had the option to copy html. Unfortunately when I first designed the site I removed the option to change everything except bold, italic and links because I didn't want the client to mess up my design.

1. Is it possible to embed links to youtube using this method?
2. Is it possible to reinstate the ability to add html to selected fields only.

If it is not possible does anyone have any ideas of other ways that video can be included on a site.

The site is brixhamcc.co.uk

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff

Re: [Jeffie] uploading video to site

By Dave - January 15, 2009

Hi Jeff,

There's a few ways to do this. Would it work to just add an additional textbox where they could paste in the youtube embed code (then just print that below the content) or do they need to be able to embed it in the middle of the content?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] uploading video to site

By JeffC - January 16, 2009

I think adding an additional text box would be the best way to go. That way I have some control over where the video appears within the layout.

However, I have tried this method of copying the embed code from youtube into a text box and it just results in that text appearing - rather than the video itself.
Jeff

By Dave - January 16, 2009

Hi Jeffie,

Make sure you are copying the youtube code into a plain text textbox and not a wysiwyg field. If it's not a wysiwyg then the code should work.

jdancisin, yea I've thought of doing it that way as well. I'm not sure which is easier for the user. I guess a third way would be to have them post in the yourtube url only.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] uploading video to site

By JeffC - January 19, 2009

Thanks for your help. Both methods worked perfectly.

I've opted for the user to copy the entire embed link. I think it is easier for the client to get their head around - a simple select all, copy and paste seems the easier option.

For future reference how would I go about adding the function to upload and display a video, in a format such as quicktime, directly to my website.

Finally can I take this opportunity to thank you for a great product and (perhaps, more importantly) great aftersales support.
Jeff

By Dave - January 20, 2009

Hi Jeffie,

>For future reference how would I go about adding the
>function to upload and display a video, in a format such
>as quicktime, directly to my website.

There is an insert media button in the wysiwyg, so you could try that and see what code it produces.

Other than that you'd need to figure out the embed code to insert a quicktime video (and customize it's display for your website). Once you've done that you could have the user either upload a quicktime mov or paste an url to one. Then you could display it in the embed code.

Another thing you can do is show different display or embed code based on the file extension of the upload or url.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com