Menu System

21 posts by 8 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 27, 2009   (RSS)

By ross - January 9, 2009

Hi there.

We definitely have different improvements to the category system on our "to-do" list.

This one sounds to me like you are looking for categories to be more along the same lines as Article Manager (if you are familiar with that).

This is on our list already but I'll add your name to the list of people that would like to see it happen.

That's actually how we decide which new features to work on (how many people it would help).

Let me know if there is anything I can help out with in the meantime :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Roj] Menu System

By ross - January 9, 2009

Hi there.

Just wanted to check in here to see if you still needed a hand with anything. Your post was basically just a quote of Dave's post.

I am thinking this either means Dave's suggestions worked (yay!) or perhaps your follow up questions didn't actually get posted.

If there is anything else we can help with, let me know :).
Cheers,

Re: [Roj] Menu System

By ross - January 12, 2009

Hi there.

There is always going to be some overhead eachtime you connect to the database. MySQL is really quite fast though so I think you'll be ok. It's really going to depend on your server and how well it will handle the amount of traffic your site generates. I can see it starting to have some trouble once you get in the higher levels of activity on your site.

Let me know what you think and if you like, we can see if there are any other options for you.

Thanks!
Cheers,

Re: [ross] Menu System

By Kittybiccy - March 31, 2009

Add my name to the list Ross, this is exactly what I'm trying to work out at the moment!

By rconring - April 13, 2009

Ross ....

Add me to the list also!

It occurred to me early on that nested list pages would solve the problem with allowing the user to create navagation to list pages as well as single pages. I currently create a section called custom_pages and add the list below the existing hard coded nav, but can only allow creating single pages.

I do realize that it is more involved than meets the eye, but it would really be a valuable feature.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

Re: [rconring] Menu System

By jokerboy - April 13, 2009

I used section editors to add a category menu to create a nav. menu. It came out o.k except you cannot add viewer URL for detail page of each item listed. That would be pretty sweet.

Some sort of way to add a Nav menu would REALLY be great.

CJ

Re: [jokerboy] Menu System

By ross - April 14, 2009

Hi there.

I don't quite understand what you mean here. Were you looking for a way to change where the link goes to for each category you setup?

That can be done by adding a new field to the category section but I am not quite sure what you are looking for.

If you could give me some more details, we'll see if my idea will work. Thanks!
Cheers,

By moh3 - April 25, 2009

hello i previously commented here what he meant that when you add a new record from a certin category you could have the option to choose a link or page so that the new record will go to

i'am following your development and i would give you an advice that i'am sure will gove you and your client 100% satisfaction and here it goes

1- you should create a system where you could have a template system you create a template then save it
2- create a menu system that you could create a page or subpage and you could use any templates you have created and choose how to to setup your naviagtion
from pages found on your site.
3- create a news or blog system that has categories and prebuilt comments system .

if you look at wordpress they already have this and i'am new to programing but if had your coding skills i would learn from their system and try to improve the cms builder because it's truly a great software but it lacks some key elements that have to be there and any cms without them is not a complete product that you could use on any unlesss you are a programmer or have some programing knowledge

please don't take this as anything negative but take it as an advice for you to build a better cms so that anyone could use and create websites

Re: [moh3] Menu System

By aev - April 25, 2009

Agree on this!

-aev-