Beginner question

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 9, 2009   (RSS)

By shielddesign - January 9, 2009

As a designer working primarily in print, I've now found myself creating websites for the first time. I'm trying to get my head around the basics of CMS - so forgive me for this possibly stupid question.

What is the order of events that need to happen for making CMS Builder part of a web site? Is it:
1)Create a website
2) upload it to a server
3) purchase CMSB
4) Customize the sections
4) Paste the code
?????????

Just wondering if you need to have a site host lined up before purchasing CMSB.

Thanks for any help.

Re: [shielddesign] Beginner question

By _kate_ - January 9, 2009

Hi,
Yes and no. You need website hosting as you need somewhere to run/install CMSB. That said, alternatively you can also make a testing server on your own computer and install it there - if you used this method you would only need the website hosting when you were ready to make the site live.

If you are going to be designing websites long term and using PHP, I would look into setting up a testing server on your computer. There are tons of guides online on how to do it.

Apart from the where, there isn't a set order you need to follow when making a site with CMSB. You can either design the entire site first and then place the codes into it, or generate the pages. from CMSB and then edit them.

Hope that helps! If you have any further questions please ask :)

Re: [_kate_] Beginner question

Thanks for the help.

So if I install CMSB on my test server, I can transfer CMSB along with the final site files over to the cliets server?

Re: [shielddesign] Beginner question

By _kate_ - January 9, 2009

No worries. Yes thats correct, but rather than just copying the files over, I believe you do a fresh install of CMSB on the website hosting, and then copy over your database and files (uploads etc).

Anymore questions, feel free to ask :)

Re: [_kate_] Beginner question

Thanks again. I assume doing another install on the host server doesnt mean repurchasing CMSB, right?