Migrating a CMS Builder site

18 posts by 8 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 17, 2010   (RSS)

By Carrie - December 17, 2008

Hi,

We have some ongoing requirements to copy the structure and content of a site to another site via FTP, so that we can modify the new site (while of course purchasing additional licenses). The reason for this is that we will be creating a series of "custom templated" websites that need to replicated quickly and as simply as possible.

Do you have any detailed instruction on migrating the MySQL content and database, and which order you would upload this data (i.e. database before copying and re-configuring CMS Builder?). We don't have a great deal of experience using phpMyadmin, but understand this is how we would export and import the MySQL databases. So detailed step by step description would be appreciated.

Carrie Webster
Carrie
WebGenesis
www.webgenesis.com.au

Re: [Carrie] Migrating a CMS Builder site

By ross - December 17, 2008

Hi Carrie

Thanks for the email!

We aren't really experts with phpMyAdmin so a walk through for using that wouldn't be something I can help out with too much.

Is there anyone else in the community that can help out here?

If both your new and old web servers allow external connections to your database, we could probably look at this through consulting for you.

Let me know what you think :).
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Dave - December 17, 2008

Hi Carrie,

Do you need to move over the "records" in the database, or just the structure of the site (meaning the templates and the sections and field settings, etc)?

If you're selling pre-configured websites and just need to move the "setup" of it and the end user will enter the data then that's much simpler. Let me know and I can help you either way.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Kenny - December 18, 2008

Carrie -

Sounds like you may have this figured out, but here is a tutorial for anyone else with this predicament.

Install CMS Builder in the new location as normal, creating a database and running through the setup.

1. Open the old CMS database in PHPMyAdmin
2. Click on the export tab
3. On the left side make sure all tables are selected and SQL is selected
4. Under "Structure" make sure the following is checked:

Add DROP TABLE / VIEW / PROCEDURE / FUNCTION
Add IF NOT EXISTS
Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
Enclose table and field names with backquotes
Add CREATE PROCEDURE / FUNCTION

5. Check "Save as file" and click go
6. It should ask you to save an sql file - click save
7. Open the new CMS database in PHPMyAdmin
8. Click "Import" and then select the sql file you saved earlier - then click go.

This should move all of your tables over.

As for moving the content, you'll have to move the code over to your new template manually.

You will have to change the settings in your new CMS to point to the new domain name of course so images will transfer over and such.

You can also make a "pre-configured" copy of CMSB with all of your extra stuff and install it to each site as well. Most of the files you will want to configure are in the "data" folder - such as schemas and schemaPresets and settings.dat.php

You can also use Package Foundry to make an automated installer that will do much of the work for you on the content, program installation, and program setup. http://www.ioncube.com/ipf/

If you are going to to be doing this quite a bit, you may want to consider it. We have about 75 active installations of CMSB and many more planned, so using Package Foundry has helped a lot - especially with upgrades.

Hope that helps you out - let me know if I need to fill in any gaps.

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] Migrating a CMS Builder site

By Carrie - December 18, 2008

Hey Kenny,

Thanks for the tutorial.

Package Foundry sounds great - I had a quick look at this. Is it easy to configure, or would you guys be able to help with the config at a later stage? We will be doing this alot, so anything that can save us time means we can build more websites in a shorter time frame.

Carrie
Carrie
WebGenesis
www.webgenesis.com.au

By Kenny - December 18, 2008

Carrie -

Package Foundry is pretty easy to configure and easy to edit your "packages" when you need to. If you decide to go this route, give it a try and if you have any questions, let me know. It isn't officially supported here as it is third-party software.

Kenny

Re: [sagentic] Migrating a CMS Builder site

By Christopherb - August 27, 2009

We did the steps described but when we log into the Admin, no pages come up.

The database after the move looks correct.

Thanks,

Chris B.

Re: [Christopherb] Migrating a CMS Builder site

By Christopherb - August 27, 2009 - edited: August 27, 2009

OK...

After a few minutes of digging, we figured it out.

We needed to upload the schemas and change the 1st line of code to each page - require_once "/usr/home/OurNewWebsiteFolder/www/htdocs/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php";

Thanks,

Chris B.

Re: [Christopherb] Migrating a CMS Builder site

By Kittybiccy - October 30, 2009

Hi, Like Chris B my database is all looking OK after the transfer but I am getting this error which links to what Chris said above:

Fatal error: main() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/Donylanduk/public_html/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /homepages/31/d271660971/htdocs/Donylanduk/cmsb/welcome.php on line 3

I've tried what he suggested but I get the same error just with the updated path. Any ideas what I need to change?

This is what I had before the move:
require_once "/home/Donylanduk/public_html/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php";

Thanks!
Hannah