Calendar

11 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 17, 2008   (RSS)

By _kate_ - June 25, 2008

Is it possible to make a calendar that someone could update in CMS Builder?

I would be hoping to have a layout which has the month and all the numbers of days underneath - if an event was on a certain day, the number for that day would be a link to the event details.

Is this possible or too complicated?

Re: [AgentBristow] Calendar

By Dave - June 25, 2008

It's possible, but more of a custom job.

We'd need to dynamically generate the calendar and put the days in the right place, and the load the data from the database to sync it all up. If you want to do it as a custom job feel free to email me at dave@interactivetools.com and we could work out the details.

The simple option would be a non-calendar list format of events.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Calendar

By kevbarker - June 25, 2008

It's possible, but more of a custom job.

We'd need to dynamically generate the calendar and put the days in the right place, and the load the data from the database to sync it all up. If you want to do it as a custom job feel free to email me at dave@interactivetools.com and we could work out the details.

The simple option would be a non-calendar list format of events.

Dave,

I would like to have a calendar within CMSB as well. A lot of church web site clients will need/request them as well as business clients in order to track various events via their web site.

Is a calendar something that you might incorporate in a future version of CMSB? I have had several clients who required a calendar and I had to resort to using a calendar package from another vendor. I would rather have one soltuion - CMSB - instead of multiple logins and management systems.

As far as you doing it as a custom job, what would the estimated time/cost be? Would I have the option to use the code from the custom job for multiple sites/CMSB installs?

Thanks!

Kevin

Re: [kevbarker] Calendar

By Dave - June 25, 2008

Hi Kevin,

It totally depends on how advanced you want the calendar feature to be. But, yes, once we create it once you can use it on any future sites at no additional cost. We could either build it into the code generator or just create some re-usable code. If your interested in having us do that for you email me at dave@interactivetools.com and we can discuss the details. Also, if you have a mockup or url a calendar that is similar to what you want that would be useful.

Hope that helps! :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [AgentBristow] Calendar

By andycal - June 27, 2008

Is it possible to make a calendar that someone could update in CMS Builder?

I would be hoping to have a layout which has the month and all the numbers of days underneath - if an event was on a certain day, the number for that day would be a link to the event details.

Is this possible or too complicated?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it a bit, but this is just a multi-record editor with date, description and time etc. The difficult bit is displaying is but there are loads of free calendars out there that simply take information from a database.

Join the two together and you've got a calendar.

Re: [andycal] Calendar

By kevbarker - June 27, 2008

I agree. There are free calendars out there and one could probably spend some time to make it work with CMSB. I have used them before. I have also learned, there are reasons some are free.

From my experience, there is a higher risk of being hacked when using some of the free solutions (most of it probably due to widespread knowledge of them and they become 'favorites' of the hackers - easy targets). Some of the coding practices are sloppy as well and your client may call about a weird error later which you have to troubleshoot and fix ASAP - with typically no support if needed. Been there, done that, don't want to do it anymore.

I, personally, would rather pay Interactive Tools and have something I know will work, and that I can get support on (the best support I have seen - Heck, you get better, faster support on these forums than you can get on the phone with most companies) and something which is tested, and not shared with the world. I think in the long run, the investment would pay for itself.

Dave, I will let you know if/when I am ready for a quote.

Thanks!

Kevin

Re: [kevbarker] Calendar

By andycal - June 28, 2008

Hmmm, yes and no....

I see CMS builder as more of a framework for other applications. The way the system is implemented is superb and it fits well with existing and new software. I'm just implementing a calendar right now and it will have all the security of CMS builder - here's how:
  • Find a calendar you like (free or paid for - your choice)
  • Find out what tables and fields it uses.
  • Recreate the table structure in CMSBuilder using the standard admin tools
  • Alter the calendar application to take account of the prefix on the tables (unless the calendar is encrypted, it's easy, usually in the same way CMS allows you to configure it)
  • Sit back and watch your calendar work

I'm doing this right now, I'll send a link when it's done. It essentially uses all the data that CMSBuilder uses, you can use the CMSBuilder interface and keep everything within one admin. The Calendar works just as it is designed to work too.

If CMSBuilder becomes all things to all men, it will eventually become like Joomla or Drupal or one of the other clones which, IMHO, are horrible.

Just my tuppence.

Re: [andycal] Calendar

By Dave - June 30, 2008

Thanks everybody for your input! We have some ideas for simple calendar views and are keen on keeping the software simple at the same time. So we'll see where it goes. :)
interactivetools.com

Re: [Moonworks] Calendar

By Dave - December 17, 2008

One way to do it now is if you can find a flash or javascript calendar that takes an XML feed, then create an XML feed of your events with CMS Builder.

We'll keep this feature request on our radar though. It's something we want to eventually get to as well. Calendars are tricky though.
interactivetools.com