Uploading to remote server

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 3, 2008   (RSS)

By JeffC - December 1, 2008

I have installed cmsbuilder on a local testing server. Everything is finished and I am ready to upload the site to the remote server.

Can someone help me to do this. I can upload the php files without any problems but I am not sure how to upload the database files.

I have created a database on my remote server with the same name as the one on my local testing server.

Is it simply a case of changing the settings in the admin panel so that the details of the remote server are used instead of the local one.

I am frightened to do anything without further advice because I don't want to mess anything up and lose all my hard work!
Jeff

Re: [Jeffie] Uploading to remote server

By Dave - December 1, 2008

Hi Jeff,

Do you have all the sections recreated on the remote server or not yet?

And have you entered a lot of data locally (records you created) that you need to move over or do you just need to move over the section setup?

And are you able to login to your remote install yet?

Let me know and I'll give you some suggestions.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Uploading to remote server

By JeffC - December 2, 2008

Hi Dave

I have created a database and named it with the same name as the database on my local server. I have done this using the control panel that comes with my hosting package.

I haven't created any sections on the database on the remote server.

I haven't installed cmsbuilder on the server either. Am I allowed to do that as I have already installed it once. (I assume the licence covers installation on two servers if they are ultimately only going to be used for one domain name)

I have entered a lot of data locally that I need to move over

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff

Re: [Jeffie] Uploading to remote server

By Dave - December 3, 2008

Hi Jeff,

Yes you can do a second install. Having a "staging" or "development" install in addition to the live website is fine.

There's probably a few steps still to go through. There's a few ways to do it. You can do a fresh install on the live server, and then move over your databases and uploads. Sometimes that's simpler.

But from where you are now, update the database settings in Admin > General or by editing the file /data/settings.dat.php so you're connecting to the live server database instead of your development server.

Once that's done you'll need to update the require_once line in your viewer files because it looks like it's hard coded to use the path on your local development server.
If you know how you can even use relative paths for the require_once line so they will work in both locations without having to make changes.

Hope that helps, let me know when you get that far and if there are any problems remaining.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com