CMSB Tutorial and Training wishlist

4 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 17, 2008   (RSS)

By chassa2556 - September 13, 2008

I thought it might be an idea to start a wish list of things that I wish I had access to to become more confident with this application. Jake has done an excellent advanced section in the product documentation. But there are still (in my opinion) gaping holes that could be filled.

My wishlist:

1. A cribsheet on how the PHP loops work with tables. How the code can be bent to your will! Reducing the amount of error messages when you don't get it right!

2. A time-efficient way of working e.g how to work out how many sections are needed. (this is important for the design of a job too) Beginners tend to go on a section frenzy!

3.Working with images - when thumbs are needed and when not, how to put images into correct table cells and get them to draw without errors. How to integrate with embedded galleries where a thumb blows up into a bigger picture on the same page.

4. How CMSB works and what elements of PHP developers need to know.

5. Time saving tips on how to work with the code that CMSB makes. I've found some of these out for myself some by pure chance.

6. How to integrate CMSB with Dreamweaver and set up a testing server.

10. How to integrate a menu system into a site

11. A walkthrough on setting up a site in CMSB from start to finish

This list is no reflection on the excellent support I've had from IT but a way that you can make your service even better and make us less dependent on trawling through this forum for answers.

Any other suggestions?

Re: [chassa2556] CMSB Tutorial and Training wishlist

By macwebster - October 17, 2008

I agree that some 'start to finish' examples would be great. For example, I would like clear answers to these questions:

1. What to do when you have a site built already on templates such as those of Project Seven and are sitting in the Dreamweaver universe.

2. Clear instructions about how file extensions need to be re-named.

3. Agree with request: 11. A walkthrough on setting up a site in CMSB from start to finish --considering both blank slate starts and inserting into previously assembled sites.

4. GLOSSARY! Some of the terms you use are confusing before you get familiar with "CMSB speak"

5. Clear paths to examples that are out there. Where can I see them?

Re: [macwebster] CMSB Tutorial and Training wishlist

By Dave - October 17, 2008

Hi macwebster,

Thanks for the suggestions. We are gradually adding to our documentation and tutorials (and updating the software itself) to make the learning curve easier.

In the meantime, if you have questions feel free to post to the forum and we'll try to help.

If you're just getting started I recommend trying to create a single page editor, or a simple news release section (news list an news detail pages). Start with the basics before you take on a big site.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com