How many section editors?

18 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 3, 2011   (RSS)

By roddruce - August 28, 2008 - edited: August 28, 2008

Dave,
Line 7 is giving an error http://rmh712.ourmenus.com.au/

'where' => 'createdByUserNum = '712'',

It is getting all too complicated, mate, I am stumped...

Cheers - Rod

Re: [roddruce] How many section editors?

By Dave - August 28, 2008

If you use single quotes to surround the string (text) then you can't use them in the content unless you escape like this \' The easiest is just to use the other quote character:

Try this:

'where' => " createdByUserNum = '712' ",
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By roddruce - August 29, 2008 - edited: August 29, 2008

That has worked but no record found. I can't figure out how to associate a User record to generated code. The user just seems to be able to erase and create a record, which I don't want. Then the Title has to be set and this can be changed by the User. And how to associated a User number to the sub domain has become far too complex.

The single record I could figure out but if this is going to cause problems with the database that's no good either.

I am really better to go back to creating a separate section for each user, which I know works and I can set up. I know this will eventually cause problems with too many tables loading in the database. So how many sections can I create so CMS Builder still runs smoothly? I'll just buy another copy and use another database. And keep going as my clientbase builds.

I need to know I can operate this way safly without corruption.

Cheers – Rod

By Dave - August 29, 2008

It depends on your server, what you might want to do is create a large number of sections first just to test performance.

A few other options. CMS Builder isn't optimized for having many many section editors, but if that was important for your project we could look at doing a custom job to optimizing it for that. You might not need as many licenses that way.

Also, it might be worth it to have this part of your site setup through custom programming. Might save you some hassle in the long run. If you want to chat about either of those items feel free to email me dave@interactivetools.com

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By Dave - August 29, 2008

Sounds good, talk to you then! :)
interactivetools.com

By pod9 - February 3, 2011

hi, i have a site that has lots of section editors which means that my client needs to scroll down the page in cmsb. is there a way to categorize these? eg my client has a bout 10 sections which could all be categorized under a "services" heading?
Pod9

Re: [pod9] How many section editors?

By Jason - February 3, 2011

Hi,

Go into your section editor and click "Add new Editor". Under the "Advanced Menus" select Menu Group. Then give it a name like "Services". After you've created it, you'll see the menu group appear in your left hand menu. Finally, in the section editor drag and drop the sections you want to appear in that menu group under the menu group.

Hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/