server requirements

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 20, 2008   (RSS)

By Deborah - August 19, 2008

I attempted to install CMS Builer on my own shared hosting server so that I can familiarize myself with the program. After receiving a 500 Internal Server Error when attempting to view the admin.php page for the first time, I contact my hosting tech support. Here is their reply:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE:

It appears that there are several factors which are hindering you from installing cmsAdmin. We have ensured that:

register_globals = off

in your Php Configuration file (php.ini). Additionally, while looking at the error logs for your site, it appears that the following is being returned:

/vservers/myaccount/htdocs/cmsAdmin/.htaccess: SecFilterEngine not allowed here

Unfortunately, the configuration of your .htaccess file is not permitted for a shared environment. The following lines attempt to bypass our mod_security settings, which we do not permit in a shared environment.
<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterEngine Off
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

Additionally, the following lines attempt to overwrite your PHP Configuration settings, which is also something we don't permit:
<IfModule mod_php5.c>
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
php_value upload_max_filesize 100M
php_value post_max_size 100M
</IfModule>

While we can permit magic quotes to be turned off, we limit max post size and max upload sizes to 8MB in a shared environment. Commenting out the .htaccess file allowed the CMS Builder installation to proceed. I sincerely apologize that we are unable to allow these certain settings, however in order to maintain a stable shared environment, we have to enable certain restrictions which benefit the overall performance of the server.

(They then went on to suggest I purchase one of their VPS plans.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever the tech support person did, I am now able to log in to the admin.php and begin building the site. Considering the above, I am unsure as to the stability of the program over time.

I am a reseller for this hosting company (who is well-respected in the industry) and they've always provided excellent service and support. I had hoped to be able to use CMS Builder for all future client sites requiring content management, replacing the software I've been using. I have proposal out to three new clients and now feel as if I may lose the projects if I can't sort out the hosting issue.

My question is, should I pursue this further with the hosting service? My understanding of server terminology is very limited. Is what the tech told me accurate and typical in the shared hosting environment?

Deborah

Re: [Dave] server requirements

By Deborah - August 20, 2008

I've been working with the software and so far, everything seems to be functioning perfectly.

That's good to know that I can make this work with my existing hosting service. They've been very good to me over the years.

Thanks so much for the reply.
Deborah