Specific records displaying question

5 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 22, 2008   (RSS)

By Codee - August 18, 2008 - edited: August 22, 2008

Hi Dave and Co,

I did a couple searches in the forum but did not yield the results I needed for this simple question.

What code would I use to have specific records or thumbnails to records show, ONLY if a certain field is checked in inventory.

Here's an "almost done" example. I have a "featured ad" scrolling section at the top of a site that works extremely well for pulling all first thumbnails out of inventory, and rotating them. When you click on a thumbnail in the featured ad scrolling section the details page for that specific record opens up. I built it by setting up a series of viewers inside some dynamic java script that simply rotates through each viewer on about 2 second intervals. So, every 2 seconds the next viewer replaces the one that's there and it runs continuously. It looks great. It works great. BUT it pulls from ALL the inventory. I need it to pull the data only from records in inventory that have the "featured ad" box checked.

Thanks in advance![crazy]

Re: [Jake] Specific records displaying question

By johnniefp - August 20, 2008 - edited: August 20, 2008

I'm new to CMSB but have been reading through to docs.

On this page:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/code_generator.html it shows you can filter results.

Wouldn't you be better off letting MySQL do the filtering? so in the 'Filter Results' textbox you enter 'featured_ad = 1'

edit:
using MySQL filtering assumes you only want 'featured_ad' results so this would only give you a filtered resultset.

Jakes solution will give you all the results and leave the logic up to you as to showing 'featured_ad'.

In short; Jakes solution is more flexible.

Re: [johnniefp] Specific records displaying question

By Dave - August 20, 2008

It depends on what's needed on the page but I think that's another good approach if none of the "non-featured" listings need to be displayed on the page.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Specific records displaying question

By Codee - August 22, 2008

Thanks everyone!