Will CMS Builder work for this?

8 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 15, 2008   (RSS)

By D&Tgraphics - August 13, 2008

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. A little about me first before I ask for help.

I own a marketing company. We do large fromat vinyl printing, offset, screen printing, web design, & promotional products. I have been building sites off and on for about 10 years. I am no means an expert. I just get by. I am working on a site now that has 2 lines of info that will need to be changed often, by the customer, and I was wondering if this "CMS builder" will work for what I need. Here is the page I will need to update.

https://secure6.securewebexchange.com/mcgrawmechanical.com/order.htm

I want to give my customer the ability to change the 2 prices on the page and that's it. Will this work. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.

Re: [kevbarker] Will CMS Builder work for this?

By D&Tgraphics - August 13, 2008 - edited: August 13, 2008

Thanks Kevin. I will talk to my customer and give them some options.

Another quick question, As easy as this sounds to setup, any idea on an approximate time frame to setup the program to work for what I need? I want to quote my customer for the setup. Shoot high.

Also, I just watched the video and will my customer have to actually cut and paste code? That could get messy. They could easily mess something up by pasting the code in the wrong place.

Re: [D&Tgraphics] Will CMS Builder work for this?

By Dave - August 13, 2008

Hi D&Tgraphics,

Your customer will never have to cut and paste code. That part is just for you to do once when you're setting up the site.

For someone familiar with CMS Builder they could create a section like that with 2 fields in just a few minutes, but you'll probably want to give yourself 1-2 hours to familiarize yourself with everything.

We can also do it for free through consulting. We have a special where we'll automate a single section for $99 (software included). You'll want to go with the $139 CMS price though so you have the option to add other sections later (the $99 only allows for one section).

I'd give it a try yourself, and if you run into trouble have consulting helping you with it. You can contact them at consulting@interactivetools.com.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Will CMS Builder work for this?

By D&Tgraphics - August 14, 2008

Thanks Dave, that does help.

Is there a demo somewhere that I can see what my customer will see. I want to know what their experience will be like. What will it look like, what will they have to do, etc. I want to make sure that I think it will be easy for them.

Sorry to be a pain in the butt.

By Dave - August 14, 2008

We don't have an online demo, but basically you have complete control over what the client will see.

You can limit their account, so when they login they will see a single option on the menubar "My Page" (or whatever you name it), and when they click on that they will see the fields you have choosen for them to edit. Likely 2 textfields like this:

You choose name [________________________________]
Another field name [________________________________]

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Kenny - August 14, 2008 - edited: August 14, 2008

I can tell you that it is the simplest program for your clients to use. We have dozens of installations, no client has ever had a question on how to work it - and even my 10 year old daughter manages her website with it.

For your client and this page you want them to edit, they will have to log in, enter in the price, and click save.

It is impossible for it to get any easier. Having them call you to make the updates is more complicated - you have more buttons to push!

By zip222 - August 15, 2008

CMS Builder is a perfect fit for this. At first glance it might seem like overkill, but the setup is super easy and the client experience is really straight-forward. And if in the future the client decides they want control of more areas of the site, you will have the framework in place to make this happen.

As the person above said, sending you an email to request the change is more complicated.

You do need to confirm that the site hosting meets the requirements, but its unlikely that it won't.