sorting numbers entered as string data

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 28, 2008   (RSS)

By rcrofoot - July 27, 2008

Hi Dave-

I've run into a snag...not with CMS...but with a 3rd party company currently used by real estate companies, and I was hoping to get your opinion...

It's simply this: If I am supplied a .txt notepad file containing 2 lines of tab delimited fieldnames, followed by many lines of tab delimited listing data, is it possible to create a MySql table based on the fieldnames given, but not being supplied data types or varchar/char field lengths??? I don't think there is and have experimented with variations of CREATE TABLE but with no success...

This has been extremely frustration. This company supplies a technical pdf, but nowhere is there mentioned data type/fieldlength values...but they do mention that 3 tables have to be built an their relation to each other...Am I not as proficient in SQL as I thought, or is being supplied field names only and data not enough to create a table and use LOAD DATA INFILE to populate it???

Just a "you're not as good as you thought" or "they're not giving you enough data" type of response would be of great help to me...

By the way...CMS is working flawlessly on 2 ouf our sites!...

Thanks, Rick