Question on Search Parameters/Types of searches

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 3, 2008   (RSS)

Re: [equinox69] Question on Search Parameters/Types of searches

By Donna - July 3, 2008

Hi Equinox,

Basically, it depends on what kind of a site you're doing and what kind of searches you want. For example, on a site with product listings, you might not WANT more results to come up -- you might only want very specific listings to appear, and have them be keyword based. Or if you had a dropdown list that you were searching on, then a keyword search is going to be just fine since they can't change the search terms anyway.

Basically, it's just whatever works for your site. In your case, a query search would probably work just fine. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Question on Search Parameters/Types of searches

By Codee - July 3, 2008

Thanks Donna! Good points. I guess a better question to ask would be "does anyone have something like a Pros/Cons cross-reference chart for different kinds of available searches?" Kind of like when you're shopping software and there's a comparison of features...I'd like to know the limitations, positives and negatives for each kind. Just hoping (or because I'm lazy and I'd prefer to use someone else's labors instead of researching them by myself) [cool]

Re: [equinox69] Question on Search Parameters/Types of searches

By Donna - July 3, 2008

Hi Equinox,

Not really -- I think it just comes down to whether or not you want to match your search terms exactly, or if you'd rather it was a bit more fuzzy. For an average site search, you'd pretty much always use query. For Listings Manager style searches, you'd use keyword.

Overall, I'd probably recommend trying one, and if you're not getting the results you want, switch it. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com