deadbeat client - how to disable their cms remotely with no ftp

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 25, 2008   (RSS)

By tonythemediaguy - April 22, 2008

Hi,

I have a client who is very late on paying me for their cms builder installation. How can I disable the license agreement or something so that their cms doesn't work?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: [tonythemediaguy] deadbeat client - how to disable their cms remotely with no ftp

By Dave - April 22, 2008

It's not always possible to disable their license, but there's a few options:

- We could (at your request) attempt to temporarily disable your license (send us the number). It's not always possible though because of firewall issues as we've discussed before.

- Failing that, you could ask us to disable your old license and issue a new one for you. Then we could optionally pursue it since they'd be using an unlicensed copy.

- And another option is to send a DMCA takedown request to their web host on the grounds that they are using your copyrighted work (images, design, content, etc) without permission (since they haven't paid). This will typically get a quick reaction, but be bad for the relationship.

On a side note, you want to make sure you're on solid legal ground whatever you do.

Hope that helps, feel free to email me directly about any of the above.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [tonythemediaguy] deadbeat client - how to disable their cms remotely with no ftp

By Dave - April 24, 2008

Just send me an email at dave@interactivetools.com with the license number.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Wolf-E - April 25, 2008

HI Tony

Do you still have FTP to their website? Over tha last decade I've had a couple of clients who chose to delay payments with the usual excuses about 'forgot' 'was busy' 'i sent it last week by snail mail' etc etc. My solution? I turned their last excuse right around, I just replaced their index page with the following (but in very large capital letters...): "This website is in the post...honest." Amazing how fast they paid up then. [sly]

Another good move is (if you are a 'reseller' with access to the server control panel) just re-map them to your own website. I've used both, they paid up very quick.

A word for new designers. Always, and I do mean always, get at least 30% of the price up front. Before you start work. It is nothing personal, just business, and good clients understand that. You can always agree to interim payments too.

It's your work. If they haven't paid, they have stolen it. You are entitled to a reposession. Do so!

Cheers ~ Wolf-E