Page Rank?

9 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 28, 2008   (RSS)

By dougdrury - January 30, 2008

Are there any built in functions to allow for a page ranking system like in this other CMS below?

[img]http://www.netsoftservices.com/rank.png[/img]

The ability for a user to move items up and down in the page list would be great. I have kludged this by creating a 'menu_order' text field that accepts only numbers. I can then sort the page list via SQL. But the CMS User has to go into every page to order the pages. The up/down arrows interface is much nicer.

I am not talking about the AJAX ability to move fields up and down while editing sections, but when the editor/user goes in to edit pages.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Doug

Re: [dougdrury] Page Rank?

By Dave - January 30, 2008

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion! The current way to do this is, as you have done, with a text field for order number.

Being able to drag sort from the list is #2 on our features in development. First (currently in development) is greater control over user access levels by section, record, etc. Then is a new section type that allows subcategories (optional) and drag sorting from the list.

So it's on the way. No ETA yet but we've been able to release new updates pretty quickly thus far.

Hope that helps, any more questions just let me know.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By dougdrury - March 7, 2008

Dave,
Did this feature make it into 1.10? I didn't see it in the list of new features... but I could have missed it. If not... will it make it into 1.11??

Thanks,
Doug

By Dave - March 7, 2008

Doug, no it didn't, but I've been thinking about the best way to implement it.

We're going to be adding sub-categories support (where you can have records nested under other records) in future and I want to make sure it works with that.

Here's what I was thinking. We could have a special field called "dragSortOrder" which let you specify an order and as well let you drag sort the records from the editor list view.

Another method would be to have an option to make field editable from the editor list view. So you could click on the value and then a javascript popup box would let you enter a new value and then reload the page.

So, I'll see if I can figure out which method makes the most sense and then get something implemented soon. Thanks for bumping the post.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Page Rank?

By dougdrury - March 7, 2008

Thanks Dave,
I vote for the "dragSortOrder" field. It seems that this would be an unobtrusive way for the user to change order without bugging them with a pop-up javascript window.

Thanks for keeping it on the radar. I will check back in with you all upon the next release.

By the way... this is a great product. I have 2 more projects that I will be purchasing CNS Builder for in the near future!

Doug

Editable field from the editor list view

By brownleather2 - May 27, 2008

I'd vote for the drag sort order. but it would also be cool to have a option in the properties of a given field, some thing like "make editable in list viewer" this will enable users to easily change an articles status say to "featured" or "active"... by using a check-box or drop-down.

Re: [brownleather] Editable field from the editor list view

By Dave - May 27, 2008

We've added 'dragSortOrder' in version 1.11 (about 2 months ago). It's a pretty neat feature, if you haven't already done so you should upgrade and give it a try.

Making fields editable from the editor list is still on the drawing board though. Next up is subcategories for the next version.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Editable field from the editor list view

By brownleather2 - May 28, 2008

I checked out the "dragSortOrder" feature its really great, nice work.