Website with two languages

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 20, 2009   (RSS)

Please just point me to an existing post if this has been answered before:

I have a website with a french section and an English section. I want for example to be able to display the french text that is entered in the French fields on the French version of the site and the English fields to display on the English section of the website. This should be possible I just don't know how to set up the viewers for this set up.

Re: [Dan Maitland] Website with two languages

By Dave - January 20, 2009

Hi Dan,

There's a few ways to do it.

Have a look at this post and then let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=65118

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Website with two languages

Excellent but just one question about method 1. You said that I would have to create multiple viewer pages, which is fine but how does that work when I have to enter in the viewer url or do I just have to make sure that I have this code at the top of the page I want to display the results?

<?php

require_once "/home/something/mydomain.com/cmsAdmin/lib/viewer_functions.php";

list($whateverRecords, $whateverMetaData) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'bios',
));

?>

Re: [Dan Maitland] Website with two languages

By Dave - January 20, 2009

With method 1, if you had a section called "News" and you wanted to display the french news on the french part of your site you might have a viewer url like this: /fr/news.php or /news_fr.php. Note that you'd have a file for each language.

And then instead of displaying the title like this: <?php echo $record['title'] ?>

You'd put in the name of the other language field such as: <?php echo $record['title_fr'] ?>

Let me know if that makes sense.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Website with two languages

That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a mill Dave.