Website Membership and Postcode-based email

By mattbcd - April 26, 2011

I need to create a form using Website Membership which allows people to request papers from a rep. However, my client wants the email which requests this to be sent directly to the correct rep, based on the zip (over here, 'post') code input by the user.

As an eg. Albert fills in the form, inputs his postcode as SN23 5TY, the form processes the first 3 or 4 characters (postcodes are always 3 or 4 chars followed by a space then 3 more) of the postcode. This then refers to a set list of postcodes - e.g SN23 is handled by Betty - and fires off Albert's papers request to Betty's email address.

Is this something that can be done in Website Membership/CMS? I hope so, as the logic seems to be straightforward in concept. As I am not especially skilled in SQL or PHP a bit of hand-holding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Matt Harpham

Re: [mattbcd] Website Membership and Postcode-based email

By Jason - April 26, 2011

Hi Matt,

Yes, this is something that can be done using CMS Builder, but it does require some set up.

First, where are you storing your list of reps? Do you have a field where you enter in which 3-4 digits they that rep is responsible for?

Also, what do you do if they zip/postal code entered doesn't have a corresponding rep?

Let me know and we'll see what we can come up with.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Website Membership and Postcode-based email

By mattbcd - April 27, 2011

Hi Jason

I am intending to convert the list of reps from xls to SQL (MySQL) and upload them on the relevant server. The DB has all (as far as I am aware) the postcodes available in the UK, each of which is assigned to a particular team, and thence their email address, thus:

RSA Brick, GPO Postcode District, Postcode Description, Postcode Brick, RSA Brick Description, IMS PCOs, HMP Team, HPM Name, HPM Email Address
BT01, BT1, BELFAST 1, BT01, BELFAST 1*, Belfast Cg, KM01, HPM01, REP EMAIL

Obviously I've omitted the email for now. So I guess the relevant fields would be RSA Brick, GPO Postcode and HPM Email address. There are then 2840 more rows, hopefully covering all the postcodes. But on the offchance there was a wrong one, I would send these to a team email address to notify the team and thereby 'manually' notify the rep.

I hope this is what you need! Many thanks for your help.

Matt

Re: [mattbcd] Website Membership and Postcode-based email

By Jason - April 27, 2011

Hi Matt,

I think the best thing to do would be to first get all of your information into CMS Builder. After that, we can work on the specifics of using this information through a form.

What I would recommend doing would be to first create a section in CMS Builder where you're going to store all of your postcode information. You can create a different field for each of the columns found in your xls file.

Next, you can convert your xls file into a CSV (comma separated values) file. After you've done that, we have a CSV Importer plugin that you can use to get all of your information out of your file and into your database:
http://www.interactivetools.com/add-ons/detail.php?CSV-Import-1041

That would give you a good start.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/