Uploads are not always creating thumbnails

9 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 28, 2008   (RSS)

By Capt'n Morgan - October 24, 2008 - edited: October 25, 2008

I'm have a strange problem in that when images are uploaded, they are not consistently creating thumbnails. Some are, some are not. I only am specifying for 1 thumb to be created. I don't even see the thumb in the uploads/thumb folder.

Why would some work, but not others?
My thumb size is 300 x 300 px, and the images I'm uploading are 500 x 312 or so, so that shouldn't matter.

I have version 1.22 of CMS Builder.

The images I'm uploading are jpgs.

Also, if I click on the button to recreate the thumbnails, I get this error:

Error: SaveResampledImageAs: Unknown image type

I think that may be the root of the problem, but I don't know what it means. My files have .jpg extensions, and that is a valid upload type...

Re: [Capt'n Morgan] Uploads are not always creating thumbnails

By Capt'n Morgan - October 25, 2008

Hi Dave, I see you answering questions all around my post, PICK ME!

I would buy into priority support, but it's the weekend, so that won't help me until Monday. :(

By Perchpole - October 25, 2008

Hey, Cap -

Just to help fill out the picture...

When you upload your image do you see a copy of it in the preview window?

:0)

Perch

Re: [Perchpole] Uploads are not always creating thumbnails

By Capt'n Morgan - October 25, 2008

Yes, it shows up in the preview, and in the uploads directory.

I even tried manually creating a thumnail and putting it in the thumbnail directory, hoping it would pick up on that, but it didn't.

Is it possible it's just something awry with those files? Most images have worked fine.

By Perchpole - October 25, 2008

Is it possible it's just something awry with those files? Most images have worked fine.

Cap -

That's certainly a possibility. If it's always the same images that fail then I suspect they could be at the heart of the problem?

Recently, one of my clients had difficulty uploading some images on to X-cart. She tried everything - without success. In desperation she sent the files to me and even I couldn't get them to upload. In the end I opened the pictures in Photoshop and simply re-saved/exported them. The next time I tried to upload them everything worked as normal.

In such circumstances it's worth trying everything - even if it's not the most obvious solution!

:0)

Perch

PS. Incidentally, and for the record, the client in question works exclusively on a Mac. I work solely on Windows!

Re: [Perchpole] Uploads are not always creating thumbnails

By Kenny - October 25, 2008

I had the same problem with a client uploading photos. I took them into a picture program that does batch file conversion formats (ACDSee) and "re-converted" them into jpgs and they uploaded fine. They were jpgs to begin with.

Kenny

By Dave - October 27, 2008

Hi Capt,

Can you post an url (or attach a file) of the image that causes that error? I'll try to reproduce the error locally and see if I can figure out whats happening.

>Hi Dave, I see you answering questions all around my post, PICK ME!

Sometimes when I'm not at the office I still login and answer some of the "easy ones" :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Uploads are not always creating thumbnails

By Capt'n Morgan - October 27, 2008

I ended up cheating by manually resizing the fullsize image to a thumb, as I don't have the hyperlinks going to the fullsize image yet anyway.

But the responses above helped. I just looked at the image meta data, and I see it's actually a bmp, but it's saved as a jpg. Sounds like a novice file conversion trick!

The image is attached for your reference. It might have the same effect here!?
Attachments:

4086_dolan.jpg 170K

By Dave - October 28, 2008

Yes, that's definitely the problem. The simplest solution would be to delete the image, convert it to a jpg on your computer and re-upload it as a jpg.

Do you anticipate many users might have misnamed images? We could look at adding error checking for if the file extension didn't match the image type.

There doesn't seem to be much support for manipulating bmp images in PHP though, so it would be harder to support them directly.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com