Submenu

12 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: September 15, 2008   (RSS)

By Laura - July 15, 2008

I am completing the initial setup of the CMS Builder applciation. In doing so, I have run into a question! I have created Section Editors for my main menu items. I will need to create submenus for one of these items. (Currently, I have a main menu item named Departments. I need to create submenus for each department within the organziation.)

What is the best way to go about this task in CMS Builder? I was familar with how to do so in Article Manager but am at a loss within CMS Builder. I assume the first step is to create a section header for each of the submenus (in this case each department). Then I need to incoroporate a script into the CMS Builder code that calls the submenu items. Any recommendations?

Re: [Laura] Submenu

By Donna - July 16, 2008

Hi Laura!

Categories are a new feature of CMS Builder, so they're not fully documented yet. But take a look at this thread, and hopefully that'll help you go over how to create categories within one of your sections:

http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=62820#62820
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

By Dave - July 17, 2008

Hi Laura, welcome to the CMS Builder forum.

There's a few ways to do this. Are you going to have a fixed number of submenus or will it change? And what content or fields will you have on the department pages?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Submenu

By Laura - July 17, 2008

Thanks for the quick responses Donna and Dave! I really appreciate it!

In reguard to Dave's post, they will be static menu items. The only fields on those pages are title (textbox), content (WYSIWYG), and upload (upload).

By Dave - July 18, 2008

Hi Laura,

Would it work to just create a section section for "Departments" which contained all your subpages? That way you could easy list and display them just like you do for your main pages.

Let me know if that will work for you.
interactivetools.com

By Laura - July 22, 2008

Dave, I am sorry. I am not following what you are saying. Can you provide an example?

By Laura - July 22, 2008

I am not sure if this will help or not. I have created a .php page for Departments. I also created an individual .php page for each department. For example, I have Recreation Board, Tax Assessor, Chamber of Commerce as departments. For each department listed there is a corresponding .php file such as recreation.php, taxassessor.php, and chamber.php. I also created one for Departments named dept.php.

I am essentially trying to replicate the menu structure I utilized in Article Manager 2. This menu had the main categories. When a menu item was clicked (such as Departments) the submenus (such as Chamber of Commerce) were displayed under Departments. When another menu item was clicked, the submenus disappeared. So it looked like this:

Home

Departments

Careers

When Departments was clicked it looked the menu looked like this:

Home

Departments
- Chamber

- Recreation

- Tax Office

Careers

Then if you clicked Careers or Home, it displayed as it had before you clicked Departments.

Does this make sense? I hope I have explained this well. I think my question has evolved since I posted this original question into something different. Can you still help?

By Dave - July 23, 2008

Hi Laura,

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for but here's how to create a single page that shows the departments down the side as a list and lets you click a department to pull up details on that specific record.

First I created a section called "Departments" with fields for title and content (setup by default).

Then I created a list viewer called departments.php that listed the department titles as links.

Next, I created a detail viewer and added that above the list viewer code to load a specific record. This gives us a single page 'department.php' that lists all the departments and shows details about selected departments when you click on them with an url like this: departments.php?Tax-Office-3

I've attached the file. Have a look and see if you can get it to work as is and then incorporate it into your design.

Hope that helps! Let me know how it goes.
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

departments.php 2K

By Laura - July 23, 2008

Not exactly... I need this to be a dynamic menu not a single page. I am not sure I am explaining things well. Would it help for me to email you the login information and you can see where we are and what I am trying to do?

By Dave - July 23, 2008

Hi Laura,

Sure, my email is dave@interactivetools.com
interactivetools.com