Problems with HTML formatting

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 14, 2009   (RSS)

By NigelGordijk - January 12, 2009

Hi, All.

I have a site that I designed for a client last year, which uses CMS Builder. There are a number of sections that the client has edited where she has used CMS Builder's wysiwyg to format some text with colours, sizes and underlines.; e.g. http://www.tomlinsonelitehockey.com/practiceprosPage.php.

However, some of the formatting she's specified is being ignored. On the example url above, she has specified that the underlined words - NOVICE, ATOM, etc - should be in blue, but clearly that's not how it appears on the page. I've logged into CMS Builder and looked at the HTML code that the wysiwyg editor is producing, and this is what's there for the first section:

<h4 style="text-align: left;">
<span style="color: #0000ff;">
<span style="font-size: small;">
<span style="text-decoration: underline;">NOVICE:</span>
</span> Weekly summer practices - 8 Sundays </span></h4>
<p>
<span style="color: #0000ff;">
<span style="color: #000000;">
<strong>July 12th - Aug 16th - 4:00pm - 5:00 pm $226.00</strong></span></span></p>
<h4><span style="color: #0000ff;">
<hr />
</span>
</h4>

A similar problem is occurring that is making text appear smaller than specified, or the underline doesn't appear, even though these can clearly be seen in the wysiwyg editor. It all seems to be a bit erratic.

Is there something that I can do to ensure that the wysiwyg editor works exactly as the expected?

Cheers.
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net

Re: [NigelGordijk] Problems with HTML formatting

By Dave - January 13, 2009

Hi Nigel,

I think the style is getting overwritten by the h4 style set in styles.css. You could try removing the default color for h4 from the css and see if that made a difference.

It's to do with the CSS cascading order:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html#cascading-order

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Problems with HTML formatting

By NigelGordijk - January 14, 2009

Thanks, Dave. I'll give this a go.
Nigel Gordijk

Common Sense Design: User-focused Web design
Tel: 001 519 342 5348 | Web: www.commonsensedesign.net