New to CMS - where to start

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 23, 2008   (RSS)

By meg - May 14, 2008

I have a pre-existing website that I want implement the CMS system to. How do I go about doing this? I'm assuming that I'll be inserting some type of code to create an "editable region" on each page to allow for updates, but I'm not sure where to start with this whole process.

Here's the site that I'm wanting to integrate this system to:
www.olddutchchurch.org

Just looking to have the text areas editable, as well as the photo gallery - not the menu (unless the CMS can do that?)

I'm new to all of this, so please bare with me. javascript:%20addTag(':)')
Thank you!
~Meg

Re: [meg] New to CMS - where to start

By Dave - May 14, 2008

Hi Meg, welcome aboard!

You should be able to update that whole site with CMS Builder.

What I'd recommend is to start by experimenting with some test sections, though, to get an idea how everything works. Perhaps create a news section and then create a "list viewer" and "detail viewer" for it. Start simple, and then work your way up.

One thing you should know is that your pages will need to have a .php extension. So if you want to update a section you'll need to create a new page for it or change the extension to .php. But so long as that's setup you basically just copy and paste in some code to make it work, yes.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need more detail. I'll be happy to walk you through the process.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [meg] New to CMS - where to start

By ThreeTree - May 23, 2008

I'm also new to CMS and can not figure out how to get started. I've read the doc but am lost. Have many years experience building websites but do not use templates or php. Am trying to figure out how to add an update capability to an existing website as a test. Product is installed but I am stalled! Help.

Re: [ThreeTree] New to CMS - where to start

By Dave - May 23, 2008

Hi ThreeTree,

I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process or help you out however we can.

Where are you at now? Have you created any sections yet or are you just getting started? Have you created any viewers? If you like I can give you an overview of this on the phone or we can walk you through the process step by step in the forum.

Let me know what works best for you.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] New to CMS - where to start

By ThreeTree - May 23, 2008

A walk through on the phone would be wonderful and should get me started. Can we set up a time early next week? I will review the online doc again in the meantime so that I am ready. I think I just need to understand the basic architecture and process.

Re: [ThreeTree] New to CMS - where to start

By Dave - May 23, 2008

Sure, just send me an email at dave@interactivetools.com with a time that works for you and we can set something up.

Thanks! :)
interactivetools.com