Membership Plugin from other domain

By gadefgaertgqe - October 20, 2010 - edited: October 20, 2010

Hello,

We use CMSB as a central hub for our dealer franchise(s) network. Many of our dealers are part of 2 or more of our franchises, but much of data is identical between them (such as contact details etc) hence the one install of CMSB . This license use has been cleared by your sales dept but thought it best to explain first although by now I am sure you are familiar with my posts ;)

Each franchise has it's own domain and each dealer has their own subdomain on the franchise domain.

CMSB works great however I have an issue with the membership plugin working on the franchise domains.

It seems the session is only valid for the domain on which CMSB is installed, is this correct? if so is there a solution? For example, if I am logged in and use the (edited to work with my CMSB install) sample_reminder.php file that comes with the plugin,
I do not get the logged in message, but I am able to generate the reminder email.

By the way, all the domains are on the same dedicated virtual server and is not a shared hosting service .

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

Paul

Re: [8bit Gamer] Membership Plugin from other domain

By Chris - October 20, 2010

Hi Paul,

PHP Sessions are tracked on the client with a cookie, and cookies are not shared between domains.

If all your sites are on subdomains, you may be able to find a simpler solution; otherwise, you're going to need to pass the session identifier around (and possibly convince your webserver to allow sessions to be shared between domains if there are security restrictions in place to prevent this.)

Try this [url http://www.google.com/search?q=session+multiple+domains]google search[/url] to find lots of people trying to do the same thing, as well as lots of possible solutions.

I hope this helps!
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Membership Plugin from other domain

By gadefgaertgqe - October 20, 2010

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply and link :)

I Will investigate !

Paul

By gadefgaertgqe - October 20, 2010 - edited: October 20, 2010

Just a thought. They are clicking on a link which is on the actuall domain they are logged into. That link then takes them to the other domain. Does that make a difference? Also would javascript maybe help to pass a variable between domains? It's late here so sorry if it doesn't make sense lol!

I am also looking at moving the analytics page to the domain that CMSB is installed on, and re-working the code to dynamicaly show the correct data.

Thanks

Paul

By Jason - October 25, 2010

Hi Paul,

Are you having them log in through the CMS or through the website membership plugin? The best solution is to have them login through a web form on the actual domain that they are going to be using. Since javascript is a client side language and the sessions are handled on the server side, I don't think that would help us.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Membership Plugin from other domain

By gadefgaertgqe - October 26, 2010

Hi Jason,

Yeah I agree. I have moved the analytics software to the same server as the login and all is working fine.

Paul