Is this possible?

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 11, 2008   (RSS)

By mariolima - December 10, 2008

Hi,

Imagine I have ten Production Domains. And I have one additional Domain, called, for instance, mydomainsmaintenance.com.br.

Under this Maintenance Domain I want to have one Directory (with its subdirectories) for each of those Production Domains, as copies of each Production content to serve for Maintenance. So, CMS would work over this Domain.

My idea is to make it possible to maintain each of those contents indenpendently of each other. So, I would need to have authentication for 10 different Users to work over mydomainsmaintenance as if they were the owners of each of them.

So, CMS would see just one Domain (mydomainsmaintenance.com.br) but work separately for each of those ten Directories, with separate authentication (User / Pwd) for each of them.

Question: Is it possible with CMS?

Mario./

Re: [mariolima] Is this possible?

By Dave - December 11, 2008

Mario,

I think it is possible, there would be a number of ways to do it and you'd need your web server software setup to find the website files in those directories as well.

The issues are:

Licensing - technically you need a license for each "website". If it's a gray area such as a number of sites that are all part of a larger website that you can email us and we'll make a decision about it

Images & Uploads - If you are displaying content on different domains you'll need to either:
a) Have a copy of the upload on all domains
b) Have the same uploads folder aliased for all domains and have the domains on the same server
c) Hard code all image links to pull uploads from a specific domain

Mysql Connections - If all your content is stored in one mysql database you'll need to make sure all your domains can access that mysql database server.

If you want to do this I'd recommend getting a copy of the software and doing some experimenting. If it doesn't work out the way you want we have a 90 day money back refund.

Hope that helps!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com