Install in subfolder during development

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 2, 2008   (RSS)

By benedict - October 2, 2008

Hi guys,

Got a quick one. I usually develop sites for my clients in a /testserver sub folder on my own domain then transfer the site across to their server once it is complete.

Applying the same idea to CMS Builder, how would I achieve this? The install notes state that I have to create the cmsAdmin folder in the root folder, but if I do that, when I transfer the site to the clients server, won't all the links be broken as they are referring to root when the site was in a sub-folder when it was being developed?

Haven't worked a lot with online databases so would appreciate any help you could offer. What is the usual way that people would do this so they can show clients the progress on the site while working on their own server?

Re: [benedict] Install in subfolder during development

By Dave - October 2, 2008

The best way is if you can set up a subdomain (client.yourDomain.com) because then all the paths will be the same.

Otherwise, if using subfolders, feel free to install CMS Builder where ever you like. The install notes that say to install in the root folder is just a suggestion for typically use. You can install it anywhere.

When you move from your development server to the live server you may just need to do some search and replaces. Other than that you should be fine.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com