How does CMS Builder handle long pages?

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 2, 2008   (RSS)

By Izadorra - April 30, 2008

Is there a way to have extra long articles carry over to additional pages within the same record? I have a client that sometimes creates articles that should span more than one page to prevent scrolling down to infinity. Is there a way to have the program automatically generate new pages after so many characters? [:/]

Re: [Izadorra] How does CMS Builder handle long pages?

By Dave - May 1, 2008

There's no support for multipage articles right now.

One solution might be to put a "Max Length" on the input field in the field editor and then have the client create multiple records and link them together.

Would that work for them?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How does CMS Builder handle long pages?

By Izadorra - May 1, 2008

Thanks Dave,

You mean just split the article into pieces -- part 1 and 2? Does that mean I would have to use the list page as the viewer in order to get the <<prev and next>>? Set it up like; writingList.php for the summarys and then writing2List.php for the full articles with the prev and next to scroll through records? Can I just use the that section and paste it into the bottom of the writingPage.php? [:|]

I'll play around with it.

Re: [Izadorra] How does CMS Builder handle long pages?

By Dave - May 2, 2008

That would be one way. I was thinking you'd have to hard code the links. Just like if you were writing a multipart article over the course of several weeks and you might add a link from "Part 1" to "Part 2".

Does most of the articles the client write need to be multipage? The other way to do it would be to add a button to the wysiwyg to insert page breaks and then write some custom PHP code for the page viewer to split the content up into pages and only show the selected page with prev/next buttons. We could do that for you as a custom job if you wanted (email me at dave@interactivetools.com).
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com