FrontPage?

11 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 22, 2008   (RSS)

By ThreeTree - May 22, 2008

I use Microsoft FrontPage as an editor (don't use any of the Microsoft unique features). Just purchased CMS Builder but now see that there are issues regarding php. Can I use FrontPage with CMS Builder? I have many client sites that I developed in FrontPage and need to continue using it!

Re: [ThreeTree] FrontPage?

By Dave - May 22, 2008

Hi ThreeTree, welcome to the CMS Builder forum! :)

I don't know much about that but I imagine it must be a common problem since there are a lot of Frontpage users and a lot of PHP users as well.

I'd try searching google for "frontpage and php" and see what suggestions you can find to make them work together. I did a quick search and found this first result:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/frontpage/HA011092991033.aspx

And there was a few other results that looked promising. It sounds like you can adjust a few settings and have it work.

Give it a try and please post back and let us know what happens. It will be great to figure this out for yourself and other Frontpage users as well.

Hope that helps! :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Thanks for the link. Never having worked with php, changing the php.ini file is not "simple". Changing the FrontPage settings may also disable functions on the older websites that I support. This may take some time to figure out - hopefully I will be able to use CMS Builder.

By Dave - May 22, 2008

Hi ThreeTree,

I wouldn't recommend changing php.ini.

What version of Frontpage are you using? I'll see if I can dig up some more information for you.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] FrontPage?

Appreciate your help but I decided to use Expression Web, Microsoft's replacement for FrontPage. The new version (2) has support for php and I can still manage the websites I developed using FrontPage. I've had the Expression Web Version 1 software for some time and installed it today. Version 2 will be shipped on May 26 and when I install it I should be all set. Just thought it was time to use a more standards compliant product and it solves the FrontPage issue. I'm excited about CMS Builder and will update this post with my experience with Expression Web 2.

By Dave - May 22, 2008

I didn't realize Frontpage was discontinued. I see now it was (in late 2006) and replaced with Expression Web. That's good to know because now we can recommend Expression Web to other Frontpage users.

Thanks for posting, and yes, please let us know how it goes with Expression Web.
interactivetools.com

By Kenny - May 22, 2008

Using FrontPage with CMS Builder is extremely compatible. Using it to WYSIWYG your code changes works very well and speeds things up a lot. In FrontPage, right click on the php file and select Open With FrontPage (as HTML).

Re: [sagentic] FrontPage?

By Dave - May 22, 2008

Really? That's great. What version of Frontpage are you using? Was there any extra settings you had to adjust to make Frontpage work well with PHP tags?
interactivetools.com

By Kenny - May 22, 2008

FrontPage 2003 - It is absolutely perfect for editing the files for CMS Builder, Article Manager, Listings Manager, etc. You can move the placeholder tags around where ever you need to and see what it is going to look like immediately. Click save and it your changes are made instantly to your server. (No FTP back and forth like with Dreamweaver)

PHP editting works right out of the box. It doesn't add any extra code or bloat. You still have to know basic HTML to get the changes made you want made, but it is a much faster workflow. Editing the CSS files is easy too.

We tried Expressions, but we have fight it from adding the code it thinks should be there versus what we want to be there. We didn't spend too much time trying to get it to work because of our work load.

You can also click on Options > Configure Editors and have FrontPage use another program to edit PHP (Such as PHPNotepad). That's good, but no WYSIWYG that way.

Re: [sagentic] FrontPage?

By Dave - May 22, 2008

That's good to know. Thanks for all the info!
interactivetools.com