Dynamic Counter for Total Number of Website Favorites

By Rusty - January 26, 2011 - edited: January 26, 2011

So I have what I would call a static counter for the total number of website favorites currently added to the CMS. It works in a sort of static manner, in so much that it ONLY updates when the user loads/reloads the page. It doesn't dynamically /immediately update as a user adds an item to Favorites. Check it out:
Have to call up the website favorites records
// get favorite record nums
$tableOrTag = mysql_escape('forms'); // update this with your table or tag name
$currentUserNum = mysql_escape( @$CURRENT_USER['num'] );
$favoriteNumsQuery = "SELECT recordNum FROM {$TABLE_PREFIX}_website_favorites WHERE tableOrTag = '$tableOrTag' AND createdByUserNum = '$currentUserNum'";

// load matching records
list($favoriteRecords, $favoriteMetaData) = getRecords(array(
'tableName' => 'forms', // update this with your table or tag name
// 'perPage' => '10',
'where' => " num IN ($favoriteNumsQuery) ",
'loadCreatedBy' => false,
'allowSearch' => false,
));

And here is the counter.

<?php
$cart_count = 0;
foreach ($favoriteRecords as $record) {
$cart_count++;
}

echo $cart_count;
?>

Is there a way to, or does anyone know of a way to dynamically update the counter, so that as a user adds or removes a Favorite, that the counter will immediately w/o refreshing the page update the current count.
Rusty

Re: [Rusty] Dynamic Counter for Total Number of Website Favorites

By Jason - January 26, 2011

Hi Rusty,

To do this without refreshing the page, you'll need to create your own jQuery function that will call a php script that will calculate your total for you.

This isn't too complicated, but does go a little beyond what we can handle in the forum. If you're interested, please send an email to consulting@interactivetools.com and we can give you some options on how to proceed.

Hope this helps.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Dynamic Counter for Total Number of Website Favorites

By Rusty - January 27, 2011

After some further digging I was actually able to modify the websiteFavorites.php file to make it reload from an add or remove onclick function.

Blue Code is commented out original. Red Code is the udpated code, Red Bold Code is the code I added.

$onClick = '';
//if ($action == 'add') { $onClick = "wsf_add('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum'); return false;"; }
if ($action == 'add') { $onClick = "wsf_add('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum', true); return false;"; }
elseif ($action == 'addAndReload') { $onClick = "wsf_add('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum', true); return false;"; }
//elseif ($action == 'remove') { $onClick = "wsf_remove('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum'); return false;"; }
elseif ($action == 'remove') { $onClick = "wsf_remove('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum', true); return false;"; }
elseif ($action == 'removeAndReload') { $onClick = "wsf_remove('$escapedTableOrTag','$escapedRecordNum', true); return false;"; }
else { $onClick = "alert('Unknown action specified! Must be add, remove, or removeAndReload!'); return false;"; }

The only thing to remember when modifying the code like this is that it will ALWAYS reload no matter which function, whether add, or addAndReload, / remove, removeAndReload.
Rusty

Re: [Rusty] Dynamic Counter for Total Number of Website Favorites

By Jason - January 27, 2011

Hi Rusty,

Glad to hear that's working for you.
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/