Curious Question...

15 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 12, 2008   (RSS)

By lterenzi - September 30, 2008

Hey guys -

Let's say you have a site with multiple sections (as most sites do) and under each section you have pages and you want them all to be editable. Is there a way for admin menu to be cleaned up a bit so it's not just one big ol list of pages with a drop down that pops up after 4 or 5 page additions? It would be nice to be able to categorize things into sections with drop downs so it is easier to navigate to a page for editing.

I guess this is a feature request?

:)
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
graphic design • web development • blog
--
lenny@heymonkeydesign.com
919•279•3301
--
web: www.heymonkeydesign.com
twitter: @heymonkeydesign

Re: [lterenzi] Curious Question...

By Donna - September 30, 2008

Hi lterenzi!

Are you referring to the actual editor page? In which case, using separators to split up the content can work really well. Try adding a new separator field (it can either be a blank line, a header with a title, or some custom HTML) and that should split things up nicely. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Curious Question...

By lterenzi - September 30, 2008

Hi Donna!

Actually i meant once a client logs in and is presented with all the pages they can edit via CMSB (the admin page). I would love to be able to neaten that up by site sections with drop downs for each page that is editable. If I have 5 or 6 sections with say 60 pages that a client could edit I would love to be able to present a cleaner way for them to navigate to those pages and edit them.

Does that make sense?
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
--
919•279•3301
--

By Dave - October 1, 2008

Hi lterenzi,

I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for, but the next version (in beta) has a new interface with the menu links along the left side.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Curious Question...

By lterenzi - October 1, 2008

Hi Dave!

I am sure that will help. Could I mockup what I am thinking and send it to you just to see if it's possible or as a feature request? Thanks again for everything CMSB made one of recent site builds 10x faster and more efficient and the client was knocked out by the ease of use.

Best,
Lenny
Best,
Lenny

Hey Monkey! Design
--
919•279•3301
--

By Dave - October 1, 2008

That's great to hear. Sure, send me a mockup to dave@interactivetools.com

Thanks!
interactivetools.com

By benedict - November 9, 2008

Hi Dave,

How did this end up? I am in the same boat - when the client logs in they are presented with a drop box with about 25 sections in it - if I could even just add a dotted line to separate a few of the sections into groups, it would make it a lot easier to find pages quickly.

Is this possible now, or coming?

Re: [benedict] Curious Question...

By Dave - November 10, 2008

The latest version has the links on the left side. You can see a screenshot in the second post here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/P66632/

You can't group them though.
interactivetools.com

By robidigital - December 10, 2008

Hey guys, I was having the same problem with need some organization or grouping of the sections in the left menu in the newest v1.23. So I came up with a not too complicated workaround.

I wasn't using the Category Section Editors so I found a use for them.

I created a Category Section Editor for each of my Top Level Categories or Groups. Then I dragged and dropped each Section editor under the proper Top Level Category (category section editor). The next step was to get the Top Level Category links to look different from all of the other section editor links, which can be done by following the instructions below.

In /lib/menus/header_functions

add
$thisMenu['menuType'] = $schema['menuType']; //RBD
just below
$thisMenu['tableName'] = $tableName;
in the getMenuList function

add
'menuType' => $menuOption['type'] //RBD
just below
'tableName' => $menuOption['key'],

comment out the line
$menuLinks .= "<li><a href='?menu={$row['tableName']}' class='$menuClass'>" . htmlspecialchars($row['menuName']) ."</a></li>\n";

and add below it

//RBD custom category menu link formatting to be used to define top level categories.
if($row['menuType'] == 'category'){
$menuLinks .= "<li><a href='?menu={$row['tableName']}' class='$menuClass' id='menu" . $row['menuType'] . "'>" . htmlspecialchars($row['menuName']) ."</a></li>\n";
} else {
$menuLinks .= "<li><a href='?menu={$row['tableName']}' class='$menuClass'>" . htmlspecialchars($row['menuName']) ."</a></li>\n";
}
}
//RBD END

In /css/ui.css add the following style or customize it to fit your preference.
#menuBar a#menucategory {background-color: #000;}
#menuBar a:hover#menucategory {background-color: #000;}

-------------------------------------------

Ryan Robillard
RobiDigital Web Studio
Design &amp; Development
www.RobiDigital.com

Re: [robidigital] Curious Question...

By ross - December 10, 2008

Hi Ryan

Thanks for posting that walk through. It's definitely an impressive amount of changes. The one thing to keep in mind here is that you'll likely end up needing to do this over again the next time you upgrade.

Thanks again though :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/