Copying sections from one site to another

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 27, 2008   (RSS)

By rasbro - May 22, 2008

Can you give me any tips or best practices on copying sections from one site to another?

I have one site with CMS Builder where I pretty much have the sections customized the way I like them. I have a new site I am developing and I want to use the same sections and features from the other site. Can I simply copy the section files in /data/schema/ or /data/schemaPresets/? I know I can do it but I wonder if there are any cons to doing this or if I will run into any problems if the two sites are running different versions of CMSB, etc. ??

Thanks,
Brian

Re: [rasbro] Copying sections from one site to another

By Dave - May 22, 2008

Hi Brian,

Yes, you should be able to just copy the /data/schema/ folder to the new site. Once you do that click on Admin > Section Editors and it will automatically recreate all the tables for you.

Note, this will move the Sections, but not the data. The only other thing to check is if you've setup a custom upload directory for any upload files you'll need to update the path.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions about that.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Copying sections from one site to another

By rasbro - May 27, 2008

This seems to work as instructed. Yet another example of how flexible CMS Builder is to work with.

Thanks!