Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

6 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: June 12, 2008   (RSS)

By videotoys - June 11, 2008

[font "Calibri"]We just purchased the CMS builder and got everything uploaded, followed the CHMOD rules, got our MySQL Database setup and ran the admin.php setup, but once I got everything input in the fields and clicked Finish setup button, I get an error:

[font "Calibri"]

Error connecting to MySQL:
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I can’t find any help on your site that gives any idea of how to fix this, we are on a unix server and after doing a little bit of research online I came across some people saying that unix uses a different socket, something like: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[url "http://www.tech-recipes.com/mysql_tips762.html"]http://www.tech-recipes.com/mysql_tips762.html[/#800080][/url]

How can I fix this? Or is it even possible? We host our site on networksolutions.com and really would like to use your product if possible.

Re: [videotoys] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

By Dave - June 11, 2008

Hi videotoys, welcome to the CMS Builder forum! :)

What did you enter for the MySQL hostname? Was it blank, localhost, or another domain? Some hosts require a specific MySQL domain and localhost won't work.

Do you have any other MySQL applications on the same web server? Check that the hostnames that they are using and CMS Builder is using are the same.

Let me know and we'll try and help you track down the problem.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

By videotoys - June 11, 2008

It does say the name is local in the mySQL application they have. The only other thing I can think is that its possible that the CHMOD didnt fully work, when I look back at the folders and files it shows they are only 775 not 777. Could that be the issue? Do those folders need public write abilities?

Thanks for the help, Im new to this.

Re: [videotoys] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

By Dave - June 11, 2008

It's only to do with the MySQL hostname. It's as if the MySQL server isn't running or it can't connect. Is the name "localhost"? And these errors are on the install page right?

If you want to send me your CMS info and FTP I can take a look at your server. Email to dave@interactivetools.com (email, don't post in forum).

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

By videotoys - June 12, 2008

Ok they finally got back to me and I guess that network solutions uses the IP address, instead of the hostname. So one a good note I am finally up and running, thanks for the help, maybe someone in the future will have this same issue and this post will help them out too.

By Dave - June 12, 2008

Glad to hear you're up and running and thanks for posting back to let us know what the problem was! Let us know if you need anything else.
interactivetools.com