CMS Builder Upload path issue prior to going live

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 1, 2009   (RSS)

By garyhoffmann - March 31, 2009

Hi,

First, let me set the scenario. I have a new client that already has an existing site. This site will stay live until I have the new site completed for them.

Their domain name points to the existing site.

I have a different hosting platform for them. We will be moving the site to this new hosting platform. When I create the site in the new hosting platform, all I have to access this site for right now is http://4.4.4.4/~username (where 4.4.4.4 is the IP address of the new site).

When I install CMS Builder on this site, the upload path is set to /~username/cmsAdmin/...

When the new site goes live, the /~username will no longer be valid as the domain name will point to 4.4.4.4/~username.

I know I can change the upload path in the CMS Builder admin to get rid of the /~username part of the path, but the problem is all of the references to this in the database.

Is there a way, other than manually, to change all of the references to the old path in the database? I have a rather large website I'm about to start on.

Thanks,
Gary.

Re: [garyhoffmann] CMS Builder Upload path issue prior to going live

By ross - April 1, 2009

Hi Gary

Thanks for posting!

I think the best way to do this might be by editing your computer's host file so that you can use the actual domain name of your live site but still be working on your new server.

Are you familiar with the host file?

Let me know what you think and we'll go from there. Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/