Add Record Form

12 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: October 14, 2008   (RSS)

By ConradTTG - July 31, 2008 - edited: July 31, 2008

Is there a way to add a testimonial submission form to a site using CMSB? I would like to build the form for them to submit, and possibly have it auto update a complete testimonials page.

Re: [ConradTTG] Testimonials Page

By Dave - July 31, 2008

Hi ConragTTG,

We don't have a polished "form generator" yet.

I can give you a sample form with basic error checking that inserts something into the database. You'd have to add some fields and tweak it yourself, though. The other route for that is custom programming where we can have it do just about anything. If all you need is an add form though I can give you some basic code for that.

Let me know if that would help.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Testimonials Page

By ConradTTG - July 31, 2008

Sure that would help. How much custom programming do you think it would involve, and what limitations would it have? FOr example could I build a form and have it send an email aswell as store the information in the database? Could I also use the same generator for multiple forms?

By Dave - July 31, 2008

It depends how many fields, how much validation is required, etc. Most forms are in the range of $50 - $150 and can include sending an email, displaying a receipt page, etc.

For example when we create add user forms for CMS Builder we can email the new user a random password as a way to validate their email address, email the admin to let them know someone has signed up, and optionally give them default access to create 1 record in a specific section (or whatever is desired).

Once we created a form for you you could use and adapt the form as many times as you wanted, yes.

In any case, I've added a sample form that adds a title and content to a table. It displays an error if either field is left blank, shows the last entered content when re-displaying the form, and adds to the database when you submit.

I'd start with that and see what you can do and then if you'd like to have us custom program something feel free to drop me a line at dave@interactivetools.com.

Hope that helps.
interactivetools.com
Attachments:

addform_001.php 3K

By ConradTTG - August 1, 2008

Thanks Dave, this is a great start to where I would like to be, but not quite there yet. I will have to look into the custom programming. I have sought out a 3rd party source to achieve the functionality I was looking for, but now I am stuck with a iframe [:(].

By ConradTTG - August 2, 2008

3rd party source wasn't any fun at all.

Per your emails I am going to build the form(s) myself, and get the php mail function to atleast send the email(s) to the proper place(s). Once the custom programming is in place to get them to insert into the database will they be viewable through the admin interface? Or, will I have to build a new page for my client to access the Dbase and view the submissions? Will the information be able to be downloaded into a .csv?

I know I am asking a lot but, I want to be clear on the capabilities before quote it to my client.

Once I have the forms built and functioning properly I will email you the files, and the links to the pages that contain them.

Thanks Dave you have been a great help.

By Dave - August 4, 2008

Hi ConradTTG,

Yes, the form will add new records to the database which can be viewed in CMS Builder (setup a section with matching fields first).

>Will the information be able to be downloaded into a .csv?

No, you'll have to create a viewer to output them in that format (or have us do it).

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By ConradTTG - August 6, 2008

I emailed you the form.

By Dave - August 6, 2008

Thanks, I'll check for that now.
interactivetools.com

By Stensy - October 13, 2008

Hi Dave,

I was considering using this piece of code for capturing purchase information on a clients website. I'm from the UK and am aware of the regulations surrounding the capturing and storing of credit card details.

I was wondering would this method and CMS Builder be secure enough for storing payment information in the back-end or are there any plugins or additional functions that I could use along with CMS Builder to develop this?

I am aware that third partys such as paypal can and would be ideal for this but unfortunately this is not an option as the percentage that they charge would cost to much money due to the price of the purchases and the narrow profit margin of the products.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.