Upcoming OAuth Requirements

2 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 23   (RSS)

By KennyH - April 22

I am wondering if the email credentials will need to change because of the upcoming Google OAuth restrictions. Right now, we just put in the SMTP login credentials for the email settings. However, Google sent this email out this morning:

Dear Partner,

We would like to remind you that we will be turning off access to Less Secure Apps (LSA) that can access Google accounts with only a username and password. This change further strengthens Google Workspace accounts against hijacking attempts.

Access will be turned off in stages, according to the following timeline:

1. Beginning June 15, 2024: LSA settings will be removed from the Admin console and you will no longer be able to change them. Enabled users will still be able to connect after this time, but disabled users will no longer be able to access LSAs. This includes third-party apps that allow password-only access to Google calendars, contacts, and email via protocols such as CalDAV, CardDAV, IMAP, SMTP and POP.

The IMAP enable/disable settings will be removed from users’ Gmail settings.

Customers who have been using LSAs prior to this date will be able to continue using them until September 30, 2024.

2. Beginning September 30, 2024: Access to LSAs will be turned off for all Google Workspace accounts. CalDAV, CardDAV, IMAP, POP and Google Sync will no longer work when signing in with just a password—users will need tologin with a more secure type of access called OAuth.

As part of this change, Google Sync will also be sunset:

1. Beginning June 15, 2024: New customers will not be able to connect to Google Workspace via Google Sync.
  2. Beginning September 30, 2024: Existing customers will not be able to connect to Google Workspace.

What do my customers need to do?

To continue using email, contacts, or calendar tools with their Google Workspace accounts, customers need toswitch to a more secure type of access called OAuth.This connection method allows apps to access account information with a digital key instead of requiring users to reveal their username and password. Instructions for updating email, contacts, and calendar apps are included in the customer message below.

What can I do to support my customers?

We’ve contacted your affected customers about this change. To better prepare your customers, we recommend taking the following actions as soon as possible:

1. Carefully review the notification we sent to your customers (copied below). It includes details about switching to third-party apps that use OAuth to securely access Google Workspace account information.
  2. Follow up with your customers to provide additional support as needed.

If you have additional questions or need assistance, please contactGoogle Workspace partner support. When you call or submit your support case, reference issue number 298235749.

Thanks for choosing Google Workspace.

The Google Workspace Team