searching records

4 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 12, 2013   (RSS)

By Dave - August 7, 2013

Hi rez, 

So what you want to be able to do is sort by the titles or names of records loaded from another table?  Is that right?  

There's still no "easy" way to do this, we need to rewrite all the backend code to understand table relationships and automatically "join" tables together.  

But I see you've been waiting a long time and I'd like to help.  One quick fix would be for you to add a text field and us to write you a plugin that automatically inserts the title/name/label text in that text field whenever you save or update a record.  That way you'd have something to sort and search on.

Would that work for you?  If so I'll get one of our programmers to make that for you and post it here (at no charge).

Let me know, thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By rez - August 7, 2013 - edited: August 7, 2013

Interesting! That sounds like it could work. One challenge might be that it's more than one category selected per item? I need to search/sort all of them.

example:

• Brewery Table: Flying Dog, Budweiser, Brew Fist, Burley Oak, etc
  • Style Table: Bock, Lager, Pale Ale, Pilsener, etc
  • Then for a beer record / table  there is various info and you select a brewery and style per record.

Also, I'm talking about 3,000 beers currently and more daily. So if I was to change a misspelled brewery or Lauger to Lager for instance, it might need to update hundreds of beers? I don't know if that's a problem, I'm just trying to think things through.

It sounds like the Brewery and Styles would show up twice in the records when using this plug-in? If there is a way to hide this from Editor level admins it would be less confusing. I don't mind seeing all these fields for a fix in my Admin section but I hope I can set things to not show for the site owner who is an "Editor" admin. I would imagine that in the record editor list for the site owner where searching and sorting, i could just show the plug in text fields and not the original duplicates. In the details of the record when modifying, if they have to show, I could make a "Do Not Modify below here" type of separator like the long and lat of the maps plug. Or can these be hidden? Hidden would be less confusing for he site owner.

Am I following you correctly? :)

Thanks for help with this.  Currently, with 3k beers and trying to search "flying dog" in the cms list,  there are zero results. :( As you can imagine, that has never made sense to the site owner. I would love any kind of fix like you mentioned!

By Daryl - August 12, 2013 - edited: August 12, 2013

Hi rez,

Attached here is the listFieldCached plugin that will enable you to sort by the titles or names of records loaded from another table. 

We included the instruction on how to set it up.

Let us know if you have any more question.

Cheers,

Daryl

Daryl Maximo
PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com
Attachments:

listfieldlabelcache.php 7K