Using the database plugin...

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: July 3, 2012   (RSS)

By Footplate - June 29, 2012

Hi, having used your CMS on another website I know of its ease of use. However I am looking into building another site for another client - unfortunately my csv knowledge is limited.

What I wanted to know is if I purchased the database plugin and installed it, then uploaded a csv file to it would it amend and alter the original csv file once hosted on the website? Or would I need to keep updating a table, save it as a csv then upload it again? Does you set up have this capability?

Also how would it display each row? Would it be as single entries or like looking at a table?

What I want is to upload a csv file from a pre made table in excel of access then have all the records up-datable on the site via form - like adding a new news article? Having an eCommerce site would be the ideal answer but this not an option.

Best Wishes Richard

Re: [Footplate] Using the database plugin...

By Jason - July 2, 2012

Hi Richard,

So are you looking to do all of your edits in a CSV file, and then upload them to your site through the CSV Import plugin?

If so, each row would be a single record in the database. How these records are displayed on your site, would be up to you. Does this sounds like what you're looking for?

Hope this helps,
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Re: [Jason] Using the database plugin...

By Footplate - July 2, 2012

Sort of. I have stock lists which are based in Microsoft Excell. To save typing everything again I would like to upload that file. Then if I need to I can make changes to a record once uploaded.

Then would it be possible to export this data back say if I wanted to produce a stock list? Or is there even another plugin that would export this as a pdf?

Regards Richard

Re: [Footplate] Using the database plugin...

By Jason - July 3, 2012

Hi Richard,

Okay, I think I see where you are going with this. Yes, I think the CSV Import and Export plugins would be what you are looking for.

If you create a section in the CMS with a field for every column in your excel file, you can upload all the information from your excel file into the CMS. If you have a unique field (stock number for example), you can set the import to update existing records, instead of duplicating them.

If you make any changes to the information in the CMS, you can use the export plugin to export this back out of the CMS.

You can use the createPDF plugin to create a pdf of information in the CMS, but this would require a front end page.

Hope this helps,
---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/