CSS Inliner

By Dave - January 23, 2015

Hey Tim, 

The inliner libraries you sent look great.  Issues to explore on those are: 

• licensing (they all look to have compatible licenses that we can use)
  • php requirements (some of them may require the latest PHP and PHP modules/extensions) 
  • compatibility (we'd have to throw an error if they fail)
  • speed (we're sending A LOT of emails so we need them to be pretty fast.

What if we had a new option under:  Newsletter Builder > Settings for: [X] Use CSS Inliner

And then we just called that on the "Custom CSS" field that is under: Newsletter Builder > Templates? 

Would that work?  Or do you want a new section for different CSS styles as well?  It sounds like a few feature requests in one so I'm just trying to get clear.

Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Toledoh - January 23, 2015

Hey Dave,

The css-inliner is the key - so that's great that it may be suitable.  The settings section sounds perfect.

With the CSS.  I can include the CSS in the <styles> of the template itself, so no major issue really.  

My other point was more based around the use of the templates and the default content.  The system assumes that the "content" is going to be the same structure for any template that you use, whereas the default content needs to be different per template.  

For instance, I may have a template for a "Alert" which is simple header | content | footer.  Then another template which is for a "Newsletter" which has a header | issue number | Welcome text | Image & Story | Image & Story | Footer.   The default content for "Alert" is simple, however the default content for the "Newsletter" is a fairly complex HTML table with images etc.  Currently I cannot acheive this - I have to have the client "save and copy" a previous message that I set up for them.

If you are updating the newsletter plugin, maybe each template should have it's own default content rather than as a global setting?

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Dave - January 29, 2015 - edited: January 29, 2015

Hey Tim, 

Do you have an active website you want to experiment with this on?  Do you want to email me direct at dave@interactivetools.com (and include a link to this thread) and we can pick one of these features to start with and see what we can create.  Thanks!

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com