Notice: CMSB v2.60 Beta 1 (Jan 30, 2014)

28 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 19, 2014   (RSS)

• Archived  

By Dave - January 30, 2014

Hi everyone,

We've just released v2.60 beta 1 (beta list members will get an email with a download link shortly).

The major new feature are:

• Up to 150x speed improvements on mysql queries with built in support for custom columns types and column indexes
  • OR searches in the CMS and all viewers, you can now show results that match ("one thing" OR "another"), not just exact matches
  • Upgraded libraries: jQuery 1.11.0, jQuery UI 1.10.4, tinyMCE 3.5.10
  • Lots of bug fixes and minor enhancements

If you're not already on the beta tester email list and you'd like to help beta test (you must own at least 1 CMSB license) you can sign up here: http://www.interactivetools.com/news/manage.php

Please post any feedback, questions, or bugs you find! Thanks!

Thanks! :)

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

One of the new features in v2.60 is the ability to easily assign custom mysql column types and creating search indexes for columns.  For high traffic or slower sites, optimizing your column types and creating indexes can create a dramatic speed improvement.

I've attached a simple plugin called "v2.60 Index Speed Test".  If you activate it from your Plugin Menu and click "Run Speed Test" it will run some sample queries that demonstrate the difference possible.  I've also attached a screenshot showing the output of the plugin when it's run from this web server.

Note: Column types and indexes are a more advanced MySQL feature, so ease in slowly.  A good rule of thumb is to optimize when needed.  Don't just add indexes to every column without a specific reason or you'll make your site slower (indexes take up more disk space and increase memory usage).  Google MySQL Indexes and MySQL Data Types for more details on each topic.

Please feel free to run this test and announce your results (or post a screenshot) below.

Thanks!

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Djulia - January 30, 2014

Hi,

I obtain errors with my javascripts.

--
TypeError: n.ajax(...) is undefined
http://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.11.0.min.js
Line 4
--

Example JS:

jQuery(document).ready(function(){
    jQuery("#myid").load("mypage.htm");
});

Do you have an idea?

Thanks!

Djulia

• Archived  

By Djulia - January 30, 2014

I tested with noConflict, but that does not function.

var $j = jQuery.noConflict();
$j(document).ready(function(){
    $j('#myid').load('myfile.html');
});

That gives
--
TypeError: $ is not a function

$('form').attr('autocomplete','off');
--

A suggestion?

Thanks again!

Djulia

• Archived  

Hi Djulia, 

Can you try reloading the page and clearing your cache? 

1. When I go to the dashboard page in Chrome: cmsAdmin/admin.php?menu=home
  2. Then right click > Inspect Element > Click on "Console" tab
  3. Then when I run these commands it shows they are defined: 

> $

function (a,b){return new n.fn.init(a,b)} jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2

>jQuery

function (a,b){return new n.fn.init(a,b)}jquery-1.11.0.min.js:2

>$.ajax

(shows code of function)

Is there any errors in the console that show the library isn't loading?  And/or what browser are you using?  Also does your code (or simple jquery code) work on a separate page when loading the jquery with this code block?

<script src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-1.11.0.min.js"></script>
<script>window.jQuery || document.write('<script src="3rdParty/jquery-1.11.0.min.js"><\/script>')</script>

<script src="//code.jquery.com/jquery-migrate-1.2.1.min.js">
</script><script>jQuery.migrateWarnings || document.write('<script src="3rdParty/jquery-migrate-1.2.1.min.js"><\/script>')</script>

<script src="//code.jquery.com/ui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.js"></script>
<script>window.jQuery.ui || document.write('<script src="3rdParty/jquery-ui-1.10.4.min.js"><\/script>')</script>

Let me know what you find out.  Thanks!

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Toledoh - January 30, 2014

2.60 Beta 1 works fine with my test.  The only issue is the Show/Hide Dependent Fields PLUS - by Cy no longer works (but is not supported)

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
  • Archived  

It's probably the jQuery update that broke it.  We can take a look if Cy doesn't beat us to it.  

Did you try the speed test plugin Tim? Curious what everyone's results were (and MySQL versions which might make a difference).

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Toledoh - January 30, 2014

Here's a screen shot.  There isn't much to the site at the moment, so not sure if it will tell you much...

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)
  • Archived  

No, that's great.  The plugin uses the same test data on every server.  So you can see that when it uses the new features of "custom mysql column types" and "mysql indexes" you get a speed boost of between 7-109 times.  So especially for queries that return a sorted list of results, you could run 100 queries in the same time it used to take to run one.

interactivetools.com
  • Archived  

By Codee - January 30, 2014

Going to run a test here shortly. One question...because the timing is impeccable. With one of the companies I host with they are in the middle of upgrading equipment and software (replacing where my accounts have been located for some time). In their notice this weekend they stated the MySQL version they are changing to is "called MariaDB" and it's supposed to work much faster.  Are you familiar with this version and are you aware of any incompatibilities?